  From: C & J
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2007 8:38 PM
  Subject: Can fleas cause anemia in adult cats?

  I've been wondering why Tomi seems to be scratching more than normal, and
licking himself vigorously once in awhile this last week.  I wasn't that
concerned about it since he doesn't scratch constantly, just more often than
normal.

  I checked through his fur a few times, and didn't see much of anything.  I've
never noticed fleas on any of my other pets either.

  Tonight I noticed a some black dots on his lip and a little on his chin, so I
checked his fur thoroughly with a flashlight.  I found some more of the black
dots on his tail.  The rest of his fur looks clear, though it is difficult to
see all of his skin through the thick fur.

  I imagine this could mean he has a few fleas, but would it be enough to
actually cause his anemia?  From what I read, fleas usually only cause anemia
in young kittens and elderly cats.

  Likely i'm just overreacting, because I don't see how a few fleas would cause
his PCV to be so low.  As well, I would be scared to treat him with anything to
kill them at the moment, while he's going through such a tough time.

  Cassandra