>On Sun, 13 May 2007 15:02:19 -0500 "Kelley Saveika" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I use Revolution for heartworms.  How do yall prevent heartworms w/out
> Revolution?  Are there other ways?

Hi Kelley,

I also use Revolution for my kitty, Shane. However, there are other
preventatives available. Merial makes Heartgard (ivermectin) for cats and
Novartis makes Interceptor (milbemycin oxime), so those would be other
options. My vet prefers Revolution, I guess because it also deals with
fleas, etc., plus it doesn't involve trying to get a pill into the cat
(always a plus!). LOL

After going through a three-month treatment process for my heartworm
positive dog (found out he had it after I adopted him from the shelter) and
learning how deadly it can be in cats, I decided that in this case,
prevention is the way to go (I feel the benefits outweigh the risks of using
these chemicals).

Heartgard: <http://us.merial.com/pet_owners/cats/products.asp>

Interceptor: <http://www.interceptor.novartis.us/cat/en/about.shtml>

American Heartworm Society's information about heartworm in cats:
<http://www.knowheartworms.org/> and
<http://www.heartwormsociety.org/FelineHeartwormInfo.htm>

Sue
and Shane (FeLV+)