  From: Gina WN
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:57 AM
  Subject: RE: Now i've got something of a dilemma

Cassandra,

I didn't see your other email saying you had decided not to take them in
(before I emailed the one below.)  I understand your feelings and there will be
those who need you out there when you are ready.  Take your time.

Take care,
Gina

Gina WN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:   Hi Cassandra,

I am not trying to pressure you to keep the babies.  I understand the grief you
are feeling over your other furbabies, as well as the practical aspects of
taking them in.

But...how old are the babies?  Perhaps mama kitty would not abandon them while
in your care.  But if she did, perhaps there is a way you can bottle feed them.

When we took in our two kittens (almost 15 years ago) they were seven days old.
 I seem to recall them eating every two hours, then it tapered off each week
until they were fully weaned at eight weeks of age.  At about the three week
mark, on advice from the vet, we slowly began to add a bit of wet kitten food
to their formula in a bowl which they began to learn to lap up.  (Plus they
still got the bottle.)  My memory is a little fuzzy after 14+ years. lol  But,
at some point they started eating from a bowl and were no longer interested in
the bottle.  I think at about eight weeks.

Anyhow, we got help from my sister who lived next door.  Is there someone who
can help you feed the babies while you are at work?

By the way, our bottle babies are still with us.  Tigger and Taylor will be 15
years old October 1st. :)

Gina

"Rosenfeldt, Diane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:           Cassandra --

  This is a toughie, obviously, and I have no practical advice to give, never
having had young kittens.  But if you can make this work it sounds like a
chance for you and your husband (who sounds like a total keeper, BTW!!) to
continue the good work you started with your angel kitties.  These new ones
wouldn't be *replacing* the three you lost, BTW, don't think of it that way.
Entertain the possibility that Tomi, Kisa and Koda have something to do with
finding these new babies to save.

  This must be so frustrating -- time isn't on your side here, you obviously
can't wait till the kits' feeding schedule is less intense, or they could come
to harm, but at the same time, sometimes mom cats do extreme things when they
think they and their kits are in harm's way, which she might if they're
captured.  Is there anyone who could come in for a while and feed the kittens
during the day until their feeding schedules are less intense? Or is there
maybe a foster person who would give you liberal visitation rights until the
kittens are older.  It also seems to me that the momcat might be more tameable
if the kits weren't an issue, so again, bad timing.  Is there a way you could
trap them and watch carefully for a while to see what her instincts seem to be
when confined?  Maybe if she/they were confined outside, rather than go right
from barn to house, it would be less of a shock?  (I'm just throwing this stuff
out as it occurs to me, sorry!  Hope some of it is
 relevant!)

  Diane R.