  From: Caroline Kaufmann
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:10 PM
  Subject: Re: FelV+ kitty that needs a home

  I just spoke to her just now because I wanted to get more information.  She
says the black and white cat is probably more closer to 1 year because she has
already had one litter (she's fixed now).  But she'd need to get the actual age
approximation from the vet that did her spay.  She thinks that based on that,
just going on her gut and knowing the colony she came from, that she is most
likely positive.  Apparently, it's a cat colony in downtown Louisville that is
well-established.  This rescuer has caught all of them by hand- so none of them
are feral- she hasn't had to trap any of them.  She said since it's an
established colony and she's now fixed all of them (there shouldn't be any
litters), those that are going to be exposed have probably already been
exposed.  She currently has four from the same location- the black and white
female, the symptomatic orange male and two others.  One of the other two
tested negative.  The other one, she has not tested yet.  And clarification on
the orange male- I misunderstood her, he tested positive for FelV and HIV.  She
said his symptoms are that he has a runny eye that won't clear up with
treatment and although he's been at her house (separated from negative cats)
for a few weeks and he eats a ton, he can't gain weight.  She said he's really
sweet though and not in distress.  She thinks the best she can do is release
him and her neighborhood contact that looks after the colony has promised to
let her know if/when he starts going downhill.  She will go retrieve him and
get him care as best she can.  It sounds to me like she has done this before
with established colonies.  She has a fe leuk sanctuary that she works with,
but she is full.

  I guess if I knew for sure the black and white female was positive, I might
think about what I can do for her (although my mom will KILL me).  But I just
don't know what Monkee would do?

  -Caroline

  Hotmail.