Well spoken Glenda--I liked your musings. I find everything you've said very
true. As for that compassionate chip or gene or something missing, my sister
was telling me about "levels of awareness" which is something she learned in
school. It basically means that if you are on a lower level (say a level of
prejudiced people), you are incapable of understanding those on a higher
level (say those who are not prejudiced). Also, she explained that prejudice
is not race-specific, but that people who are prejudiced against one race
(or species--i.e. cats) are prejudiced against all different races/species.

I would say that explains why people who say, "I hate cats, but I like dogs"
are still not animal lovers. That's like my father-in-law who makes racist
comments occasionally but once knew a nice black man. I'm not sure exactly
what it's all about, but that's the gist of it that I caught from her.

Wendy, in defense of Leos--I'm a vegetarian, animal-loving Leo! :) But, I
will have to agree, I love to be the center of attention!!

I've always wondered why my husband adores some of the cats but not all. Now
I know! They ones that adore him, he adores back! "My" cat that I brought to
the marriage is not really his buddy, but "His" cat and "Our" kitty are his
big babies. Not that any of them are actually ours--you all know they own
us. We're their slaves!

I'll be nice to a dog tomorrow--I usually take my neighbor's chained dog for
walks--she doesn't even need a leash. She stays in our garage during
thunderstorms (now they've caught on, they'll put her inside), but during
sub-zero weather, we're still letting her in the house. She's a golden
retriever--very large--and she doesn't even try to chase or growl or hurt
our kitties. I don't understand our neighbors who won't let her be a house
dog.

Enough! I said I wasn't going to talk about dogs today! :)

Melissa