The Humane Society of the United States has mounted a huge  campaign to
raise money to care for the dogs rescued from Michael Vick's  dogfighting
ring. The plea comes complete with a heartbreaking picture of one  of the
injured dogs. (Not surprisingly, studies have shown that people  donate
more when shown a picture of or told a story about a single  animal
needing help. HSUS is very clever at fundraising.needing help. HSUS
contribute, please note:

1) There is a disclaimer in fine print at  the bottom of the form which
says your donation may be used for other HSUS  programs and may not be
used to help the dog fight victims.

2) There  has been no accounting for the nearly $20 million HSUS raised
for the Katrina  dogs and cats. The organization is under investigation
by the Louisiana  Attorney General for their handling of that situation.
_http://tinyurl.http://tin_ (http://tinyurl.com/25avhp)

3) HSUS has  NO shelter. It is a corporate office building in Washington,
DC. It is  supposedly "overseeing" the care of the dogs that were seized
from Vick's  house, but we don't know where the animals are, Will the
shelter actually  providing their care receive all the donations this
campaign  generates?

4) There is no reason to believe that your contributions will  go to help
the dogs seized from Michael Vick or any other dogs or cats. HSUS  spends
most of its money on legislative efforts to make dog breeding  impossible
and pet ownership more difficult, more expensive, and more  dangerous.

5) HSUS claims its servers crashed from the response to their  first
appeal for money for these dogs, yet they are still out there  beating
the drum for more money, still claiming more is needed for the  Vick
dogs.

And if you are still considering writing that check, read  the following
quotes from Wayne Pacelle, president of HSUS

"I don't  have a hands-on fondness for animals.To this day I don't feel
bonded to any  non-human animal. I like them and I pet them and I'm kind
to them, but  there's no special bond between me and other animals."
quoted in Bloodties:  Nature, Culture and the Hunt by Ted Kerasote, 1993,
p. 251.

"We have  no problem with the extinction of domestic animals. They are
creations of  human selective breeding." quoted in Animal People, May,
1993

When  asked if he envisioned a future without pets: "If I had my personal
view,  perhaps that might take hold. In fact, I don't want to see another
dog or cat  born." Wayne Pacelle quoted in Bloodties: Nature, Culture and
the Hunt by Ted  Kerasote, 1993, p.  266.

==============================

Where are the  millions in contributions they already receive every year?
If you have money  to contribute, please send it to your **local** rescue or
shelter. Donations  received by local rescues and shelters do help animals.
The money sent to HSUS  does not.

Terrie Mohr-Forker

TAZZY'S ANIMAL TRANSPORTS
SIAMESE  & COLLIE RESCUE