Beckie,
I have dealt several times, over 20-years, with three
different cats on the UTI issues. I forgot about
that...
Miles could be trying to tell you something,
especially this howling outside the bathroom door
stuff... I am sure everyone here, finds it
amazing,every day, how our cats try to communicate
with us to tell us things...
UTI is very painfull to cats. Read up on the signs,
such as a pinkish tinge in the urine...or straining
over the litter box and only going a drop if
that...Also, when a kitty, that never sprayed, starts
spraying, the first thing I think is UTI. UTI can kill
a cat very quickly, if not addressed,  once it gets to
a certain point, where a cat simply cannot pass
urine...It is very dangerous. If allowed to progress
to the point where surgery is needed it gets very
expensive...Usually, just crystal disolving medication
and diet adjustments solve the problem...I do know
about UTI.
Glenda