I was really frightened when my ac broke.  I could have suffered with
it a little while, but my cats were *really* suffering and I cant'
stand that (of course I also live in TX and it was well over 100
degrees in my house).

Missy and I stayed at the Motel 6 (because of her heart condition),
but I couldn't bring them all.

On 8/3/07, Melissa Lind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Beckie,
>

> I forgot to mention about the air—ours was broken for 3 weeks during some of
> the hottest weather before we could finally get a guy to come fix it!
> Luckily we had a basement, so the kitties could go down there if they felt
> too hot. Mostly they would just lie around the house. They played a lot less
> than usual—they seemed pretty exhausted from the heat. I know we filled
> their water dishes much more than before.
>

> So, I guess I would say, it was pretty uncomfortable for them. Most of them
> are healthy, so it was easier for them, but for a sick cat, I think the heat
> would be much worse. If you have ceiling fans or other fans going for some
> circulation, I think it would be better for the cats—or a basement too. We
> moved their food dishes down there to encourage them to spend more time in
> the cool basement.
>

> Once our air was fixed, I noticed that our kitties were much happier and
> more playful. I would say you don't have to have a freezing cold house, but
> maybe running the air once in a while to remove the humidity would be good
> and keeping the air circulating is smart too.
>

> We don't love the heat, but we don't mind it a little warm either, so I know
> what you are feeling. We like to use the air as little as possible, not
> because we're cheap, but because we like the sounds of the outdoors, the
> birds, the breeze, etc. I always feel cooped up when we have to shut the
> windows. Someday we'd like to finish the basement which would be a nice
> summer retreat with naturally cooled air. I think you said you live in
> Iowa—I'm from Nebraska, and if our climates are similar, it's the humidity
> that becomes unbearable more than the heat! J
>

> Melissa Lind

http://www.rescuties.org

http://astore.amazon.com/rescuties-20

Please help Caroline!