Melissa: In answer to your question, we haven't done Monkee's funeral service yet.  BUT WE ARE GOING TO DO IT.  My mom and I spent a lot of time debating where to do it and if we wanted a religious or lay person to do a reading/say something.  We found the location...a "barn" behind my the church I grew up going to and where I went to school.  The barn isn't really a barn, it's a building that used to be a barn.  And tho I went to a Catholic church and school, my mom was surprised to discover that they now use the barn and the outdoor area behind it for things just like this.  I kind of put it on my mom to help plan it and make phone calls/inquires and she just lost track.
This Sunday, we are going to the Pet Memorial Ceremony sponsored by Chance's Spot- an online community for those grieving the loss of a pet.  It's at an outdoor Amphitheater and there will be readings and music and everyone who attends will get their pet's name read aloud.  I planned to take both Monkee and Rambo (the last of our geriatric cats- 19 yo- and my favorite of the litter, whom we put to sleep last Oct).  And by "take"- I mean their ashes.
We are still doing a separate, private ceremony for Monkee.  I wanted to do it prior to the group ceremony on Sunday, but we just ran out of time.  I wanted to do it tomorrow, but my Mom was dying to go to Morristown, TN to visit her only granddaughter, Lily, and she does SO much for me, that I can't begrudge her that.
I will definitely let you know what we decide to do.  I am going to have memorial prayer cards made for everyone who sent me a sympathy card (I got tons).  My sister thinks I am crazy for wanting to do that (she told my mom that), but she can go to H-LL!  There's a company that makes Pet Prayer Cards online and I have picked out what I want and the pic of Monkee I want on it.  Still deciding about the text.  I wrote a poem a week after Monkee died.  I am NOT a poem writer AT ALL tho.  I am a writer, but not a poem writer!  But it just came out...I still don't know where it came from?  I thought about putting the poem I wrote on the prayer cards, especially if I read it (or have it read- I don't know if I can get thru it) at Monkee's ceremony.  The only person I have shared it with is my mom, yet she still hasn't read it yet because she says she can't (because she cries)- so I don't know if it's any good or not!

But, I will keep you updated on what we decide.  I'm pretty confident The Monk will always be my most specially loved (by me) baby and so it's really important to me do something official to honor him and lay him to rest.

-Caroline

Discover sweet stuff waiting for you at the Messenger Cafe.  Claim your treat today!