I'm with MC on this.  This has been a problem on other lists that I am on and
fortunately the mods are willing to kick people to the curb if they are giving
out questionable advice, especially without some sort of express disclaimer.
Newbies do not understand that advice may be very wrong.  Often they are
looking for any glimmer of hope and would willingly buy snake oil if they
thought it might save a cat they loved.

MaryChristine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  for many years, none of us had any
problem saying, "in my opinion," or, "this is what my vet recommended, " or
"this is what has worked for me"--and newcomers do NOT know that there are no
vets on the list, they do NOT know when they are being given flat-out WRONG
information. there has been DANGEROUS, in some cases possibly life-threatening
information put out on this list in the past few months by people who presented
it as if it had been handed to them on stone tablets.

there is a HUGE difference between a suggestion, and the kind of proclamations
that have become the norm on the list.

  On 9/27/07, Melissa Lind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:        I think we all can
agree that an unspoken disclaimer exists in this community. None of us is a
vet. We give advice based upon experience. It is understood that we are not
prescribing anything as a vet would. If a person does not agree with a
suggestion for a sick cat, it is his/her choice to speak up. The only way we
learn is though the suggestions of members here. As you ALL know, there are so
many varied experiences with many different ailments that it helps to have a
wide range of suggestions. No one on this list claims to be the be-all-end-all
of veterinary medicine. We are only doing the best we can with what we know.
Some of us are new to this, so the suggestions of veteran members are
appreciated, and the variety of opinions is valuable. If you do not agree with
the suggestions below, please just give your advice to the contrary.

  This is all getting so stupid. I'm thinking about leaving to go to Michael's
list too. I'll hang around and see if things improve here, but the drama is
unbearable at this point. Even after Susan D. has left the group, we are still
arguing about this! Enough already.

  Melissa