It's been a while since I've dealt with kittens, but in my fairly long ago
memory, albon rarely touched the coccidia.  I know I've had kittens on
metronidazole for it.  (flagyl)

Caroline Kaufmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
      .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  {
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }    I did read that coccidia has a 13
day incubation period.  And yes, I needed approval to be able to take a stool
sample into the vet that treats the cats for this group, if I want to be
charged the discounted rate (which as a foster, I feel is only fair).  I could
take the cats to my own vet or another vet, but I wouldn't get the discounted
rate.  The whole thing is pretty messed up- kinda disorganized, so I just do
the best I can.  And I don't necessarily have a problem with the number of cats
she has, as the situation in which they are kept.  I ended up with these
kittens because they all had URIs that she was not treating them for- not even
with just terramycin or a triple antibiotic.
They keep Albon in stock and I can get my hands on that to treat them with and
may just end up doing that anyway.  But I need to re-weigh everyone first.
-Caroline

> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:17:52 -0500
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> Subject: Re: Kitten Update
>
> On 9/27/07, Caroline Kaufmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > My three kittens are status-quo. I started them on a probiotic made by
> > Eagle Brand on Tues. evening, so they've had a day and a half of that and
> > we're still having diarrhea/soft stools/cow pies (and stinky!). I don't
> > know how long it takes the probiotic to work though? I have talked to the
> > volunteer of the Adoption group- who originally had these kittens and whom I
> > needed to obtain approval from before taking in a stool sample. She said
> > she doubts it's coccidia or girardia because she thinks it would have shown
> > up earlier because she had them at her house for a while before I took them
> > in.
>
> That isn't necessarily true. Coccidia is so very common in kittens,
> and I have sent kittens to a "clean" environment (no other cats at all
> - they are the only cat) and had them come down with coccidia after
> they had been there a month.
>
> In fact, coccidia is so common that every time I have taken a kitten
> in for a fecal, they have prescribed Albon even if the stool sample
> doesn't show any (it can be hard to detect).
>
> You need to get approval?? Before taking a kitten in for a fecal?
>
> It isn't uncommon for rescuers to have 20 or 30 (or more) cats in
> their houses, by the way. They kill close to 70% of the cats that
> come in to our local kill shelter.
> --
>
> http://www.rescuties.org
>
> Vist the Rescuties store and save a kitty life!
>
> http://astore.amazon.com/rescuties-20
>
> Please help George!
>
> http://rescuties.chipin.com/george
>
> I GoodSearch for Rescuties.

> Internet with GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

  Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger  Get it now!