  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 2:18 PM
  Subject: Day 3

  Ok, guys, here's the update for the day. First of all, I am even more
convinced now, and I stand by my decision to not contact his previous "owners."
I just can't imagine anything good coming out of it.  This boy is too special
to have to go back to that mess, and I'm afraid if I did let him go or call
them,they'd snatch him up and stick him in a cage or something, and I'm just
not willing to risk that.  He would come to my house for days at a time anyway,
and they never once looked for him, and they still haven't since he
"disappeared" two days ago. Because I know for a fact he hasn't been home
because he's been in my sunroom.  This is a unique situation in that I KNOW he
didn't just "get away" from his owners and get in this shape.  I've seen him
for the last two years in the neighborhood, and the last six months he's been
coming to my house every morning and every night.  This was just blatant
neglect.  My heart is too heavy to even think of letting him get back in that
shape again.  I really do have such feelings for these guys.  Someone has to be
a voice for them.  I used to feel bad about volunteering and putting so much
energy into animals when there are so many horrible conditions and diseases
afflicting our fellow human beings, but the last few days I've come to an
important realization, and that is someone has to look out for our companions,
too!  There are lots of people who work on human charities and advocate for
research and development (and I don't think you'll ever see a huge difference
in modern disease treatment/management until you see a fundamental shift in
Washington and the drug companies and HMOs lose significant control over
research and development, but I digress, that's another topic altogther.)  But
animals, who will be their voice?  Someone needs to fight for them, and my
extreme sensitivity makes me suitable for that.  I swear, I can't even bear the
thought of killing a mouse.  I have no-kill traps.  This may sound corny, but I
even avoid squishing bugs if I can.  I'll generally scoop them up and take them
outside.  I just believe in the inherent sanctity of life...all life,
regardless of its form, is precious, and should be preserved.

  As for King Blanco the Mighty Whitey (lol, I can't decide!  Jeff still says
he is a "she" and "her" name is Whitey!) and his condition, he's continuing to
do well.

  He pooped last night.  I was so excited. :)

  His Baytril dose is half of a 22.7mg tablet daily for 14 days.  No diarrhea
or other problems yet, but I'll keep an eye out for sure, and I'll look into
the probiotics.  His eyes/pupils are fine, I'm keeping a close watch on him for
the dilation concerns mentioned.  His balance seems to be getting a little
better, but he still has a long way to go.  Jeff set up his "tent" in the
sunroom last night, and put a heating pad in it.  He's quite cozy.  He's been
on it all night and day.  I have the webcam set up where I can keep an eye on
him from work.  I'm gonna include a link to it and post instructions at the
bottom for anyone who's interested :)  We're expecting the lab results in
tomorrow.  I'll be sure to let you all know as soon as I hear about them. Oh,
and by the way, I misunderstood Jeff.  Dr. Dolen has not actually diagnosed
Hyperthyroidism, he just said it was likely with the thyroid tumor. We should
know about that by Friday.  We'll also know more about the heart murmur. The
vet didn't do any vaccinations because he wanted to wait on the bloodwork
(probably to check for heart disease, as someone here mentioned.)  Anyway,
here's the webcam and instructions if anyone wants to "peek" at Whitey.  Look
in the "tent" on the right side of the screen, that white dot inside is my boy
:)  Like I said, it really is a "storage" room right now, so please look over
and excuse the mess :(  I'm gonna work on getting it cleaned up this weekend I
hope.

  Camera Internet address:

      http://camera.115cr339.ourlinksys.com

  Web Browser - You can View Video using Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher.  When
you click View Video, an "ActiveX"component (OCX file) will need to be
downloaded and installed on your PC. You will be prompted to install this OCX
file if this file is not present in your system.

  You'll see one of those yellow bars across the top of the window, right below
the address bar (or tab bar if you're on internet Explorer 7 that says "Click
here to Install ActiveX Control...."  You'll need to click on it, and then when
the other window pops up that asks about installing it, click on the Install
button.

  Note: The Wireless-B Internet Video Camera supports a maximum of 4 users
simultaneously. I don't think that will ever be a problem, but if several of
you get this email at once and it doesn't load, you'll know just try again in a
few minutes.  I'm gonna close my connection to free it up til I get home.

  Thanks as always for listening to my rambling.  Oh, and for the record, a
website is still in my plans for the not-too-distant future, so hopefully it
will be coming eventually.

  ~Michael