I'm so glad you're keeping him!  I've never had a cat have a problem using the
litterbox due to being outside before.  In fact mine that have litterbox issues
have never been outside.  Whitey's lucky you're taking him in!

  tonya

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  Ok, guys, here's an updated on "Whitey" (Ugh, I hate thatname, but Jeff won't
let me change it now), 24 hours into the "intervention" ;)

I've done a lot of thinking, and soul searching.  And I've decided I'm not
gonna put him back outside, or make any effort to contact his "owners."  I've
decided they don't deserve animals, and I even seriously considered reporting
them to the humane society, but figured I'd best just get him better and leave
it alone as long as they don't make a fuss over it.  He still has a long road
to recovery, but once we get him better, I'm either gonna keep him in the
sunroom (and figure out a way to make an "outside" area for him, or hopefully
find him a good home.  Jeff is trying to convince his mother to take him.  Its
a very quiet house with no other animals, and I know he'd be taken good care of
there, and Jeff would see him often.  We don't know if she'll say yes, but
right now we're just focused on getting him healed.  I even offered to provide
his food and litter to sweeten the deal :)

Anyway, I spoke with the vet and Jeff yesterday when I got home and got a bit
more details.  Apparently not only does he have hyperthyroidism, a benign tumor
on his thyroid, severe gingivitis, teeth needing pulled, severe ear infection,
and a grade 3 heart murmur, but he also has mouth ulcers. :(  The vet said he's
surprised the fella can even eat.  But let me tell you, that boy eats :)  He's
been eating Sheba and drinking catmilk as fast as I can give it to him, several
times a day.  He's just acting completely at home in the sunroom!  He's not
once yeowled or tried to get out.  He's found his "spot" out there, and he's
been quite content!  I've been paying closer attention to the fella, and I do
believe he's hard of hearing. I don't think he's completely deaf, but I do
believe he has hearing problems.  For starters, Jeff was vacuuming the
indoor/outdoor carpet out there, and he just laid there and slept.  You can
open the door and call him in a low voice and he doesn't
 respond, but if you yell, he looks up.  He's also using the litterbox.
Hallelujah!  lol  I was afraid he'd never figure it out after being outside so
long.  Jeff set up a webcam out there so we can keep an eye on him while we're
in the house :)  (I'll send you guys a link if Jeff ever figures out how to
connect it to the internet and not just our personal wireless network.) I think
cleaning out his ears as helped some with the imbalancing.  He's still wobbly,
but seems much better than he was!  I swear, he just amazes me.  I can't
imagine what a rough life this little guy must have had up to this point...and
for him to be so calm, and loving, after living through such hell, it just says
he's a very special boy.

A couple of questions now....

1. The vet put him on Baytril for the infection/mouth ulcers.  I know you guys
are familiar with it....what are the side effects, what do I need to look for?
Is that the broad spectrum antibiotic that kills the good intestinal bacteria
as well?  do I need to get some yogurt and/or probiotics? :)

2. How long should he go before I get concerned about the litterbox use?  He's
peed in it, but so far hasn't had a bowel movement.  He's not been out there
even 24 hours yet, so I'm not too terribly concerned, but how long do you guys
think I should wait before I start to worry?

Michael