Ditto to that.  My late  previously outdoor boy Monkee used the litterbox the
first night I took him in- after I had covered anything exposed in the room
with plastic (which didn't need it!).  He had meticulous litter box behaviors
and would get mad at me if it was dirty (he wanted it changed once a week!),
and upset if he ever got "anything" on him due to a box needing to be changed.
He rejoiced with each compelete changing of the box (emptying fully and
cleaning it, new liner), by laying in the new box and rolling around in the
cyrstals and scratching his back, purring-- all in front of me.  He would only
lay in the box when it was first fresh (after his first pee or poo- no laying);
so it was truly a "celebration of the clean litter box"-- that's what we dubbed
it and he did it everytime.  I miss those days.  My family had some cats with
horrible litter box behaviors (spraying and ruining couches when we moved to a
smaller house and "turd stealing"-- moving them to new locations-- always a
treat!)-- and these were hand-raised from the minute they were born, indoor
babies.  And now I am down to two foster cats who've also never been outside
and they have bad bathroom habits which involve putting everything in the near
vincinty on top of their "business" after each occurence (toys, bed buddies,
whatever their little paws can grab)- which makes for a lot of dirty items.  My
foster kitten Yoda pretty much trashes his crate every day with the throwing of
litter and other items and my mom is about to kill him!  He's dirty and he
stinks and as soon as I give him a bath...he'll just start it all over again.
So never sell the outdoor cats short-- they have proven to me to have the BEST
litterbox habits!
-Caroline

Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 17:57:11 -0700From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Re: Whitey's
UpdateTo: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
I'm so glad you're keeping him!  I've never had a cat have a problem using the
litterbox due to being outside before.  In fact mine that have litterbox issues
have never been outside.  Whitey's lucky you're taking him in!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Ok, guys, here's an updated on "Whitey" (Ugh, I hate thatname, but Jeff won't
let me change it now), 24 hours into the "intervention" ;)I've done a lot of
thinking, and soul searching.  And I've decided I'm not gonna put him back
outside, or make any effort to contact his "owners."  I've decided they don't
deserve animals, and I even seriously considered reporting them to the humane
society, but figured I'd best just get him better and leave it alone as long as
they don't make a fuss over it.  He still has a long road to recovery, but once
we get him better, I'm either gonna keep him in the sunroom (and figure out a
way to make an "outside" area for him, or hopefully find him a good home.  Jeff
is trying to convince his mother to take him.  Its a very quiet house with no
other animals, and I know he'd be taken good care of there, and Jeff would see
him often.  We don't know if she'll say yes, but right now we're just focused
on getting him healed.  I even offered to provide his food and litter to
sweeten the deal :)Anyway, I spoke with the vet and Jeff yesterday when I got
home and got a bit more details.  Apparently not only does he have
hyperthyroidism, a benign tumor on his thyroid, severe gingivitis, teeth
needing pulled, severe ear infection, and a grade 3 heart murmur, but he also
has mouth ulcers. :(  The vet said he's surprised the fella can even eat.  But
let me tell you, that boy eats :)  He's been eating Sheba and drinking catmilk
as fast as I can give it to him, several times a day.  He's just acting
completely at home in the sunroom!  He's not once yeowled or tried to get out.
He's found his "spot" out there, and he's been quite content!  I've been paying
closer attention to the fella, and I do believe he's hard of hearing. I don't
think he's completely deaf, but I do believe he has hearing problems.  For
starters, Jeff was vacuuming the indoor/outdoor carpet out there, and he just
laid there and slept.  You can open the door and call him in a low voice and he
doesn't respond, but if you yell, he looks up.  He's also using the litterbox.
Hallelujah!  lol  I was afraid he'd never figure it out after being outside so
long.  Jeff set up a webcam out there so we can keep an eye on him while we're
in the house :)  (I'll send you guys a link if Jeff ever figures out how to
connect it to the internet and not just our personal wireless network.) I think
cleaning out his ears as helped some with the imbalancing.  He's still wobbly,
but seems much better than he was!  I swear, he just amazes me.  I can't
imagine what a rough life this little guy must have had up to this point...and
for him to be so calm, and loving, after living through such hell, it just says
he's a very special boy.A couple of questions now....1. The vet put him on
Baytril for the infection/mouth ulcers.  I know you guys are familiar with
it....what are the side effects, what do I need to look for?  Is that the broad
spectrum antibiotic that kills the good intestinal bacteria as well?  do I need
to get some yogurt and/or probiotics? :) 2. How long should he go before I get
concerned about the litterbox use?  He's peed in it, but so far hasn't had a
bowel movement.  He's not been out there even 24 hours yet, so I'm not too
terribly concerned, but how long do you guys think I should wait before I start
to worry?Michael

Climb to the top of the charts!  Play Star Shuffle:  the word scramble
challenge with star power.