Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:43:17 -0400
From: Caroline Kaufmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Glands
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>

My guess would be that they want you too keep a close look out for early signs
of Lymphoma.  But like Sally says below, a swollen lymph node can be a sign of
a treatable infection too.  Lymph nodes can swell easily when they are doing
their "job" and working to fight off an infection- anything from a URI, to a
bladder infection.  They can be especially palpable in an slightly underweight
cat.  I myself get noticeably swollen lymph nodes when I have certain
infections and I've had it checked out by doctors and it's just kind of how my
body works.  So it just sounds like your vet just wants you to be vigilant
(which I think is a good thing for a vet to tell you)- but he/she should have
explained the "why."  Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but my vet told
me that Lymphoma is the most common form of cancer in cats and dogs
period...regardless of whether your cat is Felv+.  However, lymphoma is also
the most common form of cancer for an Felv+ cat
 (and I think this is kind of why it's like Felv+ cats have so many strikes
against them...that's two right there).  Unfortunately, lymphoma is what my
Felv+ Monkee got.  I found a lump on the back of his leg around Easter this
past year.  I found it really quickly because I was always touching him (he was
my love-bug!), but it was pretty large.  It was a swollen lymph node, they did
a needle biopsy and found Lymphoma.  We did chemo (which, given the chance
again, I  probably would not go that route- I can discuss that another time if
need be, but I won't go into it now).  We eventually had the lump surgically
removed because even after a few rounds of chemo, it actually grew in size.
Monkee then came down with anemia and he died in July.

So, I'm not saying this is the route your cat(s) will take at all, I just think
your vet wants you to be vigilant in looking for signs of an infection or
possible lymphoma.  If you find a swollen lymph node, or any kind of lump on an
Felv+ cat, I recommend calling your vet asap.

I hope this helps.

Caroline K.

Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:09:32 -0400From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]: Re: Glands
My Cat Junior always has a certain degree of swollen lymph nodes. In his case
means he is fighting an infection. My first concern when I discovered them was
lymphoma, so I had the vet do a needle aspiration to rule out cancer. In his
case it showed inflammation and other "stuff" indication infection. He was put
on antibiotics to aid him in fighting the infection. I have to go back to the
tests to see what stuff is neutrophils was one thing that was found.

I just got out of the hospital Friday from surgery, so I did not see where this
was answered. I hope this helps. I always worry about my Junior. He has swollen
glands right now and a URI, that won't go away.

Sally