my 6 month old FELV + manx kitten does the same.  So did our 9 month old
Siamese mix who we had to PTS because of a serious bout with FELV over
Christmas. It was normally after careening around the house together but  it
never really seemed normal.  The manx is a loud breather anyway - sometimes
on the verge of 'labored' breathing periodically during rest - but more
generally just a noisy nose.  When she was cked over by our vet other than
the FELV+ she was really in good condition considering the odds (she has a
partial prolapsed anus that doesn't seem to bother her - we were trying to
take care of it when the FELV issue presented itself in the other cat...
then we tested her...)
We go back in 3 weeks for re-test - we are crossing our fingers ...

I googled it (panting) as well and got the same generalized answer which
really didn't help - so I'm interested in the answer to Susan's Q.

 - Beth Gouldin