Another thought: When Dixie was tested she was scheduled to be spayed. The vets, whom it trust beyond words, recommended that she be spayed at a later date when I had decided what to do with her and when she was less stressed and healthier (better fed, supplements whatever). The theory was/is that she would be less stressed by the surgery than y going into heat several times a year. It turned out Dixie had been spayed (I spent a lot of money on a hormone test to make sure she needed to be spayed based on communications with several ACs who turned out to be very right). I won't advocate s/n or not s/n a FELV+ cat but put this on the table: is the surgery or reproductive cycles----for either gender---more stressful?

As I said, I lucked out and didn't have to make that decision.