________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Dorothy Noble
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:26 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: more questions and thankyou

You are welcome to describe my information as "inaccurate";  I wrote:
Apparently the virus CAN live for a while.  I have read in several
places that you need to clean any area with a bleach/water cleaner if a
+
cat has been where a negative one will be staying.  It is said that you
should wait 30 days after your + cat is gone before you should
introduce a new negative cat into the household.

I would think that the Cornell University (as well as all of the others
documented below) hold a certain amount of credibility - more so than
any layman just posting their opinions here.
Whatever you believe, I would ALWAYS err on the side of caution and keep
all of the litterboxes, bowls, etc separate.  Without knowing it, I put
my negative cats at risk; they had all been vaccinated for FeLV but it
isn't 100% effective.  Due to the extreme contagiousness, one of my
vaccinated cats now is FeLV positive.  Please note the yellow
highlighted part below - by following this strictly, my other negative
cat remained negative.
Suit yourself, but I prefer to be proactive with my cats.

What can I do now to protect my cats?? The only method for protecting
your cats is to remove any FELV-positive cat from other cats completely.
You should also follow strict quarantine procedures including separate
utensils, housing, litter pans for the FELV positive cat, and thoroughly
washing your hands, clothing and shoes after handling and caring for the
FELV positive cat. Do not breed an FELV positive queen!! If you lose a
cat to FELV, it is recommended that you wait 30 days before bringing in
a new cat, and then only after the area has been thoroughly scrubbed and
disinfected with a solution containing 4 ounces of household bleach per
gallon of water, rugs vacuumed completely, and all litter pans, food
dishes, bedding, etc. have been replaced.

-------------

*       FeLV is considerably unstable and will not survive outside an
infected cat for an extended length of time. It is recommended to wait
at least 30 days before a new cat is brought into the household/facility
in which a FeLV-positive cat once lived
*       Cleaning:
        Thoroughly disinfect or replace the food dishes, litter pans,
and bedding that were used by the infected cat.
        Tile or hard surfaced floors should be cleaned and disinfected
with a diluted bleach solution (approx. 4 oz. household bleach to 1 gal.
water).
        Thoroughly vacuum rugs to eliminate the virus from carpeting.
*       These plus the thirty-day quarantine, should be sufficient to
eliminate the virus within the household.

Keep a FeLV-infected cat indoors and away from other cats. If the cat
dies from FeLV, the Cornell Feline Health Center recommends a waiting
period of at least 30 days before getting another cat. The house and cat
supplies should be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before bringing a
new cat home.
An FeLV-positive cat that is not sick is probably still shedding the
virus. FeLV-positive cats should not be housed with other cats. Deciding
what to do with an FeLV-positive cat in a multicat household can be very
difficult. There are several options, including:

*       Euthanasia
*       Finding a home for the FeLV-positive cat where it will be the
sole cat
*       Isolating the FeLV-positive cat within the home, by keeping it
in a separate room and providing a separate litter tray and feeding bowl

Because FeLV can be spread through litter trays, water and food bowls,
and bedding, these should be disinfected with a solution containing 4
ounces of household bleach per 1 gallon of water, or they should be
replaced after isolating the FeLV-positive cat. Floors should be cleaned
and disinfected with a bleach solution, and rugs should be thoroughly
vacuumed.

---------------------------------
If you have previously had a cat with FeLV, wait at least 30 days before
acquiring a new cat. During that time, all litterboxes and food bowls
should be replaced, and the premises cleaned thoroughly.

Belinda Sauro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        This is why inaccurate information is so harmful, Dorthys info
is
        wrong, it dries it dies, talk to any vet who is knowledgable
about FeLV
        if you can find one, there aren't many even today it seems.

        > Now I am worried. I have been taking good care of Buzz's
dishes and washing my hands after I leave his room. If this virus lasts
on clothing then I have put my other cats at risk every time I pick them
up in spite of the precautions.

        --

        Belinda
        happiness is being owned by cats ...

        Be-Mi-Kitties
        http://www.bemikitties.com

        http://www.hostdesign4u.com

        ForYouByUs.com [custom printing]
        http://www.foryoubyus.com

________________________________

it now.
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=51733/*http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i6
2sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ>
Effective September 1, 2007, we have changed our name to Mayer Brown LLP.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE. Any advice expressed above as to tax matters was
neither written nor intended by the sender or Mayer Brown LLP to be used and
cannot be used by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that
may be imposed under U.S. tax law. If any person uses or refers to any such tax
advice in promoting, marketing or recommending a partnership or other entity,
investment plan or arrangement to any taxpayer, then (i) the advice was written
to support the promotion or marketing (by a person other than Mayer Brown LLP)
of that transaction or matter, and (ii) such taxpayers should seek advice based
on the taxpayers particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor.