A thought: Most vets are going to steer toward caution because they do not want to be blamed if a cat develops FeLV+. This is human nature and part of their ethics system. Knowing that, we can ask more questions and pin them down. The good ones who are up on FeLV will be forthcoming with answers. I have found this to be particularly true with those who accept alternative medicine even though they do not practice it themselves. Once we, not they, make the decisions the vets I know and go to are very supportive. I can really understand why they would not want the responsibility.
On Mar 1, 2008, at 4:44 AM, Pat Kachur wrote:

My vet says the vaccine is 90+% effective. My 6 negatives were vaccinated and all are over 5 years old. My vet and I agreed that mixing my one positve with the others had very little risk.
----- Original Message -----
From: catatonya
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2008 1:12 AM
Subject: Re: FeLV Vaccination

I would vaccinate my negatives, wait the 2-3 weeks necessary and booster them, wait 2-3 weeks more and let them mix. All this IF the other cats are over a year old. That has always been my protocol and I've never had a negative cat 'catch' the leukemia from my positive.

Sue & Frank Koren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Several people here have said that they have their FeLV + kitties living in with FeLV - cats, and the negative cats are not getting infected. I am trying to decide if I should vaccinate my others and let Buzz out of his room. My vet is against it and says the vaccinations are only 60 - 80% effective. The vet does not seem to be up on all that is going on with FeLV, though, and I am considering switching vets. Buzz really doesn't,t mind his room, but he is a social boy and cries when he doesn't want to be alone. I visit him as often as I can and spend at least an hour or so in the evenings in with him, but such minor details as a full time job and the rest of my human and cat family keep me away from being with him as much as he and I would like. It seems as if vaccinating the others and freeing Buzz from his prison room is the best solution, but not if any of the others end up being infected. Their ages range from 2 to 8 years. Two of them, Charlie and Tucker have other health problems and I don't know if that would put them more at risk. Anyway, has anyone ever heard of a vaccinated cat being infected?

Reply via email to