  From: laurieskatz
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2008 4:59 PM
  Subject: Re: Herpes virus

  Lynne, there is a great herpes yahoo group that I belong to. You might look
into it. My vet thinks 2 of my cats may have this virus. Stress causes it to
flare. It can cause eye (and mouth?) problems. I give L-lysine twice a day
during a flare up. I have never had to do more than that with mine whose
symtoms are minor. Winston occasionally (about once a year) gets an unexplained
high fever and quits eating. My vet thinks it's related to the herpes. He
recovers with anti-biotics. I don't think herpes is a big deal in most cats.

  I do think it can be spread, though if my 2 have it the other 5 didn't get
it. Also, my vet didn't warn me about contagion when he told me he thought Lucy
may have herpes (cat number 5) or when he told me he thought Winston had it
(cat number 7). Mine have not been tested for it so can't say for certain that
they have this. Lucy's eyes run with clear tears when she is stressed and
Winston winks his eyes and they get red rimmed when he is stressed.

  You might ask the shelter/vet what they will do to reduce her stress during
and after her spay. Getting her out of the shelter is a GREAT way to reduce her
stress!

  Congrats if you adopt her!
  Laurie