Sort of on this subject.......there is a feral who eats/hangs out at my mother's. I suspect it has herpes. There is no real way for me to be sure. This cat, and most of the others who hang out there cannot be touched. Does anyone have any ideas about what can be added to food that might help? There is no other way to get meds/suppements into them and they are very suspicious of anything added to the food...even smelly fishy food.

Lynne, follow your heart. Booboo strengthen and enlarged it. You must decide what to do with it.
On Mar 8, 2008, at 3:59 PM, laurieskatz wrote:

Lynne, there is a great herpes yahoo group that I belong to. You might look into it. My vet thinks 2 of my cats may have this virus. Stress causes it to flare. It can cause eye (and mouth?) problems. I give L-lysine twice a day during a flare up. I have never had to do more than that with mine whose symtoms are minor. Winston occasionally (about once a year) gets an unexplained high fever and quits eating. My vet thinks it's related to the herpes. He recovers with anti-biotics. I don't think herpes is a big deal in most cats.

I do think it can be spread, though if my 2 have it the other 5 didn't get it. Also, my vet didn't warn me about contagion when he told me he thought Lucy may have herpes (cat number 5) or when he told me he thought Winston had it (cat number 7). Mine have not been tested for it so can't say for certain that they have this. Lucy's eyes run with clear tears when she is stressed and Winston winks his eyes and they get red rimmed when he is stressed.

You might ask the shelter/vet what they will do to reduce her stress during and after her spay. Getting her out of the shelter is a GREAT way to reduce her stress!

Congrats if you adopt her!
Laurie
----- Original Message -----
From: Lynne
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2008 2:53 PM
Subject: Herpes virus

Could any of you give me some first hand info and experience with the herpes virus in cats. There is this young cat I saw a picture of who is in a rescue shelter at the moment . The poor little thing was a total wreck when this woman took her in and she is now in the process of getting her eyes cleaned up. They look a whole lot better than they did before this woman got hold of her. Apparently the vet who is taking care of the cat said her eyes would have to be cleaned at least twice a day and when and if she has flareups the appropriate treatment will have to be given. She is being spayed very shortly and is going to be up for adoption fairly soon. I said I would take her probably because she reminded me a lot of BooBoo. She's all white and from the picture looks like she may have persian in her. She has that same flat little face that Boo did. Would I be getting myself into something like I just went through with Boo or is there more hope for these animals. This kitty has tested negative for feline leukemia. I haven't even told my husband yet. I just blurted out that I would take her. I don't even know if I'll be chosen anyway.

Lynne