Pretty sure 2 of mine have herpes. Keisha probably did, too. Pretty sure 3 do
not.
They have lived together for 7 years.
  From: Lynne
  To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
  Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 3:54 PM
  Subject: Re: newgirlexpected

  Oh Laurie, how horrible for you to lose your cat at 22 after the cleaning
especially since he lived so long and was a positive.  How absolutely heart
breaking.  Lennie has never had his teeth cleaned under anesthesia.  He has
always eaten hard food and now I mix it with some softer food but everytime he
goes to the vet they check his teeth and they're fine.  I probably will never
have that procedure done to him unless there were an abscess or something.  Too
risky.  Speaking of risk, I called Lennie's vet, only because they are familiar
with him and told them what I was planning to do, getting Snowball, and should
I have him vaccinated for the Herpes Virus.  I forget what 2 things it
involves, and he said, oh yes, bring him in.  He'll need a physical and then
we'll vaccinate him.  Lennie was sick last summer with a dermatitis and ear
infection, not mites, just an ear infection.  He went nuts on Prednisone so
came off it and once it was discovered he had a thyroid issue, many hundreds of
dollars later, he was put on thyroid medication and you'd swear he'a a 10 year
old again.  Anyhow, I then called BooBoo's vet and told him the story.  He
said, do not vaccinate your old guy. It could be more harmful than benefit.  He
also assured me that if Snowball is vaccinated and is symptom free I should
have nothing to worry about.  If she does have an outbreak, I would need to
isolate her until she is well again.  Lennie will not even go near her.  This I
know.  He avoided BooBoo like the plague and has no interest in other animals
whatsoever.  I will have to be diligent about litter boxes, dishes etc but I'm
really not worried.  With what we have just gone through, we can handle this.

  Lynne