Wendy, that's GREAT!  Thanks for doing that.

Gloria

On Mar 24, 2008, at 4:54 PM, wendy wrote:
Hey guys,

I called Cornell and spoke with a gentleman regarding our collective thoughts on their FeLV information (some being incorrect and out-of- date). I also forwarded some of our posts to them so they would know specifically what I was referring to. They have contacted me back (see below) and asked for our input, specifically on the incorrect information we feel is posted on their website, and also regarding the inactivation of the FeLV virus due to drying. Email me or post here anything you'd like me to forward on to this gentleman, who is a professor of virology there. He requests that information be backed up with references/studies, so add any studies or links that you can. This is a great opportunity for us, and for our FeLV+ furbabies, present and future!

Thanks!
Wendy

P.S. I will post his .pdf document in another post since we can't have attachments here.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!" ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

----- Forwarded Message ----
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 2:30:23 PM
Subject: FeLV Inactivation

Good afternoon Wendy,

Thank you for providing Don Personius and the Feline Health Center (FHC)
with the various views and statements about FeLV and the FHC website
posted on [EMAIL PROTECTED] We really appreciate feed back, positive or negative. For the past several days, whenever I have had a
few minutes, I have tried to address these concerns.

First, let me address the FHC website. I totally agree that the website is not as current and up-to-date as it should be. We have already made
a major commitment to totally redo the website, to make it dynamic,
current, and a reliable source of information about cat health and
care. This will take us a bit of time, but I hope by later this year we
will have a better website to offer cat owners and veterinarians.

The mere fact that some information on the website has not been updated
recently does not mean it is out of date.  I reviewed the posted
information FeLV and failed to identify anything that is out of date.
Some fairly strong statements were made on felvtalk that our information was incorrect and out of date. I would appreciate receiving details of
what is not correct, with information about the reference sources.  We
must rely on controlled studies, not just opinion. Incidentally, I will
be lecturing on FeLV to the 3rd and 4th year veterinary students at
Cornell next Monday, so if there is something I should know about FeLV,
please send it to me via email.

Secondly, the question of inactivation of FeLV by drying needs to be
addressed. Despite searching the literature several times over the past few days, I have not been able to come up with a valid, controlled study
that addresses the survivability or inactivation of FeLV dried onto a
surface. If your readers know of such a source, please let me know. I
have put together a brief review about "FeLV in the Environment" in an
attempt to address this issue.  I have attached a pdf file of this
review.  Please feel free to distribute this or post it on felvtalk.

Sincerely,

Fred W. Scott, DVM, PhD
Interim Director, Cornell Feline Health Center (Founding Director, 1974-1996)
Professor Emeritus (Virology)
College of Veterinary Medicine
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853

Looking for last minute shopping deals?