If the bilirubin is high, could this be fatty liver disease (hepatic
lipidosis)?  I've been through this with my Luc and it is very
reversible with proper treatment.  The treatment is simple -- feed,
feed, feed, and quick, quick, quick!  The problem is that the cat may
not feel like eating, in which case force-feeding or tube-feeding is the
way to go.  With Luc, force-feeding was so stressful that we elected to
have an esophageal tube inserted through his neck.  We thinned out and
blended some A/D from the vet and syringed it through a little funnel
into the tube.  Within a week, he started to feel better and lapped it
up on his own, and turned right around.  We had to wait a while to have
the tube removed -- the rough edges of the hole needed to heal over
before they could be stitched shut.  
We too had the test to the tune of several hundred dollars, and then Luc
didn't react well to the anesthetic and they kept him overnight for
several more hundred, so I feel your pain on having to consider money.
The tube insertion itself was only a couple hundred dollars (although
the vet may have taken pity on us after the original $1200 we'd spent on
tests and the overnight stay).  Thankfully, my mother had left a small
amount of money and I know she would have been happy to know it went to
save my heart-kitty's life.
I hope things turn out okay for Hobbs!  Hugs to him and his hoomins.
Diane R.


[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Heather
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 1:41 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: Hobbs, more info--Liver

Hi everyone,
I thank you all so much for your caring & insightful replies!
It appears the problem is Hobbs' liver, his bilirubin is very high.
They are suggesting a regimen of meds including Denocil, baytril, amox.,
Cartinine & Arginine, and fluids.   BW suggested an infection which may
be the reason for the antibiotics.
They also suggested doing X-ray/ultrasound/fine needle aspirate &
cytology for the liver.   I asked if we can start the meds and see how
he responds.   If anyone has comments on this it is appreciated.   My
rescue vet bills were $1,100 last week and I hate considering money, but
the vet did say we could proceed that way...I also thought sedating for
the aspirate might not be good if he's so weak?
What we are trying to figure out now is if it's best to hospitalize him
for 3 days for fluids as suggested, or, for my friend to take him home
where she can watch over him more during the night (my vet's does not
have staff there overnight).   She can't do fluids so would have to
bring him back each day for fluids if so.   I think that would be
stressful, but it might be best for him to be at home....especially if
he took a turn for the worse, I don't think she'd like his last moments
to be in the hospital if possible.   I am always boarding cats so they
can get proper care but in this case am not sure which is best, kind of
a toss up.
Karen, if you have suggestions now that we know that the liver seems to
be the issue, it's appreciated or I can give you a call.   A good rescue
friend suggested SamE, but I think the Denocil is like an RX version
that might have some further benefits if I'm understanding correctly.
Thank you all....I haven't been active in the group but always scan the
messages and pray for all of our kitties.
Blessings to you all--and especially to your furry ones,


This electronic mail transmission and any attachments are confidential and may 
be privileged.  
They should be read or retained only by the intended recipient.  If you have 
received this 
transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the 
transmission from 
your system.  In addition, in order to comply with Treasury Circular 230, we 
are required to 
inform you that unless we have specifically stated to the contrary in writing, 
any advice we 
provide in this email or any attachment concerning federal tax issues or 
submissions is not 
intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, to avoid federal tax 

Reply via email to