Hi Heather,
Of the 5 kittens, one was positive right away, and one turned positive
several weeks later.
We lost the first one to FIP, which I partially blame on vaccinating too
soon and too short a regimen of antibiotics.  She was vaccinated a couple of
days after the antibiotics were stopped, they were still in her system
then and were masking the fact that she hadn't really kicked her URI.  Her
immune system just got tired, and she came down with FIP.  She was a very
sick little runt when we found her, so she may not have made it even without
our mistakes.  When one of her brothers came down with a high fever, we had
him retested and he came up positive.  He got prednisolone for 1 or 2 days
and was put on Clavamox.  The fever came back within a week, one
prednisolone tablet was all it took to break the fever.  After all I had
been through with the first one, there was no way I was letting him off the
antibiotic.  He was on Clavamox as a preventative for *months*.  Everyone
says that it will kill the good bacteria along with the bad, and that may be
true for some cats, but he never had a problem.  He has always been my best
and most enthusiastic eater, no diarrhea or anything.  I think that the
antibiotics allowed his body to concentrate on its fight with the
virus instead of wasting its energy on any bacteria.  Just my layman's
guess.  I think that the typical 10 day antibiotic prescription is way too
short.  Then again, he was much healthier than his sister when I found them,
so maybe he has stayed well *despite* my meddling.  Anyway, I was kinda
flying under my vet's radar getting Clavamox refills, finally I took him in
to have his mouth checked 'cause he wouldn't eat his crunchy treats (it was
fine) and she said that she couldn't in good conscience see any reason to
continue prescribing meds to such a healthy looking cat.  He's solid muscle
from playing all day long.  The only supplement I use with him is L-Lysine
powder in his wet food.  Food brands have changed a few times, but for a
lot of their lives they have been on California Natural chicken and rice
dry.  Current wet food is Pet's Promise chicken from Petco.  I avoid fish
flavors because they can have a flame retardant chemical in them (from
pollution).  Once in awhile they get a plate of wet baby greens or romaine
lettuce, otherwise they try to steal it from our birds.  That's it.  Oh,
and I waited longer to have him neutered (7 months).  He is healthier
than his three remaining siblings (all negative, but two have food allergies
and one broke her femur).  I know that the odds are long on making 3 years,
but I have hope, and I try to concentrate on the joy of his company right
here and now.  Even when he's hell-bent on stealing used Q-tips from the
bathroom trash.  :o)

Sending good thoughts for Sissy,
Beth