i'll send this on to belinda in case she missed it, cuz she manages the site
where we can list our vets and things....

as for seroconverting times--i've seen things that say to retest in as short
a time as 60 days, to as long as 120. 90 days DOES seem to be the average
suggested, but as i don't want to have to worry about it, i wait the
120...... i KNOW that if i got a positive at less than that, i'd never be
sure, and would end up retesting again later on!

years ago, in an older version of the merck veterinary manual, they made
reference to a cat who did not test negative on the IFA until 7 or 8 months
after first testing positive. i remember reading it, and possibly if someone
has an older version of the merck they could find it and see if there were
any citations to it. i didn't think i needed to copy down the info cuz it
was in the merck, so i thought i could always find it again. (hmmmm, wonder
if the person who had that version still does?????)

so while it IS less likely that a cat will test negative, it's not
IMPOSSIBLE. it just brings up back to what i repeat incessantly: we just
don't know enough, there hasn't been enough research done to know the
answers to the questions we need the answers to.

i just had my theoretically positive baby (alright, she's a year old now,
she's still the baby) retested yesterday when she was spayed (the vet will
swallow the spay cost if she's negative!)--when she was younger, she was not
terribly thrifty, which is why i didn't spay her as early as i would have.
and she never had her first heat until about 2 months ago, very later--but
for the past 3 months or so, she's been very very very healthy, and i'm
wondering if her earlier frailness (she wasn't sick, per se, just would get
sniffles more often than the others, and for a long time would sleep much
harder and longer, and not play as often, as a little calico should....) was
her system working on throwing the virus off. all we know about her hisstory
is that she was born to a barn mom.... she tested positive on a snap test at
about 11-12 weeks old. if she's positive it's not gonna change a thing,
except, of course, for me to be even more aware of any symptoms she might
show.

in the old days (five years ago), it was presumed that ANY cat who tested
positive at such a young age could not throw the virus off, and would be
dead quite possibly before their first birthday.... each cat that defies
that adds to the ANECDOTAL evidence, but that's not hard science.... (in the
sanctuary,  7-8 months was a big danger time--possibly because mom's
immunities were wearing off? and 18 months was an age we lost a lot of the
tested-positive-early kittens--that one doesn't make any sense, but we saw
it over and over again.

we can throw our hands up and say, "why bother testing at all?" or just
reach down and pet the kitties and love them no matter what letters they
have after their names, and for as long as we're gifted with them.

MC

--

Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference....