Here I go again, waffling about neutering my cat.  I need some honest advice
here.  Don't just tell me what I want to hear but what I must hear.

I haven't owned too many cats in my life, 3 to be exact because they all lived
very long lives.  Then came BooBoo and all the tragedy associated with Feline
leukemia, FIP etc.  I still say I shouldn't have neutered him (age 5) and that
stress contributed to his very quick demise.  My other cats have always been
neutered before we got them (from the humane society.)  Now we have Snowy, the
3 and a half year old rescued cat who was very ill with feline herpes virus.
It caused some scarring in one eye and apparently it took 2 months in a foster
home to get her eyes and respiratory tract infection treated.  She is seemingly
very healthy, the vet says she has a strong heart.  What I did learn about her
though was that she did have a litter of kittens at one point and they all
died.  I have read that it can be complicated to spay a cat that has had a
litter and that is why it is best to do it at a young age.  I have her
scheduled to go in this Tuesday and I'm petrified.  I would absolutely die if
something were to happen to her.  I worry about the stress and her history of
Herpes virus.  She's such a happy and loving little girl but becomes very
aggitated over having her eyes cleaned daily and being brushed, necessary
things for a persian.  When we got her about two weeks later we discovered she
had a very horrible ingrown nail and took her to the emergency vet to have it
surgically removed.  It was a horrible sight.  She had to be put under she was
so hysterical.  The vet even told us we had a bad kitty because I guess she put
a job on him. >From what I can tell she has not gone into heat during the time
we've owned her which is around 4 months now.  She's an indoor cat but is
allowed to go outside with us and Lenny for fresh air and nature.  Neither cat
is ever let outside without at least one of us in the yard with them and both
stay very close.  It is impossible for either one go get out of the back yard,
but yes, it is possible for an agile male to find his way in.  Like I
mentioned, they both are supervised diligently and only let out for a short
time.  90% of the time they are inside or in the screened patio.

I know ultimately this is my decision but I would truly appreciate any thoughts
you wonderful people might have on the subject.

Many thanks
Lynne