One caution: consider refusing all vaccinations and other stressors near the time she is spayed. Having everything done at once is convenient for us and for the cat but, if there are problems, can overwhelm the little one. If you have a homeopathic vet around you might consider seeing what could reduce the shock of surgery too.
On Jun 22, 2008, at 5:17 AM, Sue & Frank Koren wrote:

Good for Snowy! “Putting a job on him” when he called her a bad kitty.
Personally, I am always pro spay/neuter and it would take a very unusual circumstance for me not to have an animal of mine fixed. They end up with so much less stress when they are altered.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ] On Behalf Of Marylyn
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2008 1:59 AM
Subject: Re: spaying

If you do, consider having a vet who uses laser or its equivalent do it. There is supposed to be less bleeding and less stress. I am not saying spay or not, but check this out.
On Jun 21, 2008, at 9:42 AM, Lynne wrote:

Here I go again, waffling about neutering my cat. I need some honest advice here. Don't just tell me what I want to hear but what I must hear.

I haven't owned too many cats in my life, 3 to be exact because they all lived very long lives. Then came BooBoo and all the tragedy associated with Feline leukemia, FIP etc. I still say I shouldn't have neutered him (age 5) and that stress contributed to his very quick demise. My other cats have always been neutered before we got them (from the humane society.) Now we have Snowy, the 3 and a half year old rescued cat who was very ill with feline herpes virus. It caused some scarring in one eye and apparently it took 2 months in a foster home to get her eyes and respiratory tract infection treated. She is seemingly very healthy, the vet says she has a strong heart. What I did learn about her though was that she did have a litter of kittens at one point and they all died. I have read that it can be complicated to spay a cat that has had a litter and that is why it is best to do it at a young age. I have her scheduled to go in this Tuesday and I'm petrified. I would absolutely die if something were to happen to her. I worry about the stress and her history of Herpes virus. She's such a happy and loving little girl but becomes very aggitated over having her eyes cleaned daily and being brushed, necessary things for a persian. When we got her about two weeks later we discovered she had a very horrible ingrown nail and took her to the emergency vet to have it surgically removed. It was a horrible sight. She had to be put under she was so hysterical. The vet even told us we had a bad kitty because I guess she put a job on him. From what I can tell she has not gone into heat during the time we've owned her which is around 4 months now. She's an indoor cat but is allowed to go outside with us and Lenny for fresh air and nature. Neither cat is ever let outside without at least one of us in the yard with them and both stay very close. It is impossible for either one go get out of the back yard, but yes, it is possible for an agile male to find his way in. Like I mentioned, they both are supervised diligently and only let out for a short time. 90% of the time they are inside or in the screened patio.

I know ultimately this is my decision but I would truly appreciate any thoughts you wonderful people might have on the subject.

Many thanks
Felvtalk mailing list

Felvtalk mailing list

Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to