________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Sharyl
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:22 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] Introducing Daisy's Babies

I have been feeding a dumpster colony of kitties for several months with
the goal of doing TNR (trap/neuter/release) for those that I can not
rescue.  Of the 3 kittens I rescued 2, Sissy and Rocket, were FeLV+.
They are about 9 months old now and are doing well.  Both have test
positive twice.

Their sister, Daisy, had a litter before I was able to TNR her.  The
kittens were approx. 4 weeks old when I got them.  I took them because 1
had both eyes stuck shut and 1 had 1 eye stuck shut.  The next day I was
finally able to trap Daisy using a kitten as bait in the carrier.
Daisy has since been spayed and released.  The babies have received one
worm treatment, got terramycin salve in their eyes for a week, and have
lysine added to their food.

It appears that Mattie will be blind.  She is the biggest of the 4 and
very feisty.   I had her tested and the vet said she was very, very,
very FeLV+.  No idea what 3 verys mean.  CJ may have some limited vision
in her bad eye.  Bright Eyes and Houdini (escaped from the dog crate
twice now) seem healthy.   I am adding L-Lysine and Mega C Plus to their
food.  I am looking for advice on what else I can do to help them throw
off this virus.

They will each be tested when I have them spayed.   Sissy and Rocket
were several months old when I rescued them.  Didn't know if starting
treatments earlier would improve the odds that they could beat this.
Any advise on how to proceed with now 5 1/2 wk old kittens would be
appreciated.

By the way Stormie, same colony but different Mom from Sissy, Rocket and
Daisy, tested negative.  I did not have Daisy tested.  I knew I could
not afford to keep her if she was positive and simply do not have the
disposition to have a cat PTS simply because she is positive.   At least
she will not have any more litters.  There is one more sister, Mae, that
I have been trying to trap for TNR.

Sharyl Sissy, Rocket and the babies

be privileged.
received this