still seems like it doesn't make sense--i know better than most that it
takes an adult cat 90 to 120 days to develop antigens after exposure, so why
then do so many articles say that you can test kittens at any age? why not
just SAY that a test result isn't valid in kittens before then? seems to me
that this is another one of those, "we really don't know, so each of us will
make it up as we go along," situations. I WANT ONE ANSWER, darn it! i don't
care what it is, i just want one that everyone can agree upon, is that
really too much to ask? (yeah, that was a rhetorical question.)

and unfortunately, not enough vets seem to know that FIV kittens will show
their mom's antibodies, and, subsequently, fewer shelters and rescues do.

in EITHER case, a single test should never be taken as definitive--and all
the major vet schools, and professional associations and literature have
said so for years. hasn't made a whole lot of difference.

thanks for the link to the shelter med article, tho, as it confirms some of
what i'd been seeing the journals, that transplacental transmission was no
longer being considered the main vector.
hopefully, i'll be able to find those links again. (i have everything
saved--it's just finding it again that can be problematical... )

MC

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 12:54 AM, gary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  OK, here we go.
>
> The only reason to test a kitten for FIV before 6 months is to obtain a
> negative test and know for certain the kitten does NOT have FIV and can be
> adopted without the chance of FIV.  We all know that MOST kittens who test
> positive for FIV will test negative when retested around 6 months  of age.
>
> For FeLV, the accuracy of the test itself is not affected by the age of the
> kitten (at least I have never seen any data to indicate that) however, it
> can take 1 to 3 months to develop FeLV antigens to a detectable level after
> exposure.  Some feel they are detectable in as little as 2 weeks.  The vet
> is just trying to avoid a false negative.
>
> Unfortunately, there has not been enough study done to know just how much
> exposure and for what length of time it takes to infect a kitten or a cat.
> An article in Shelter Medicine says, "FeLV can be spread transplacentally
> from mother to offspring, but spread via nursing or grooming is more
> common."  http://www.sheltermedicine.com/portal/is_feline_felv.shtml
>
> They don't reference any data for that.  Sort of leaves you in a tough
> place if you have a know FeLV queen about to give birth, do the
> kittens already have it, or do you snatch them away as soon as they are born
> so they don't get it from milk or grooming?
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Gary

Spay & Neuter Your Neighbors!
Maybe That'll Make The Difference....