well...that went poorly...I was asking what constitutes a good diet for cats
these days...please.Debbie (COL)"You gotta bloom where you're planted!"

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 00:39:29
+0500Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Felv Testing Interval for kittens

Michele (and others)...not being sarcastic...I really need to know!!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 06:23:16
+0000Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Felv Testing Interval for kittens
Hi,

We've had several FIV cats and they've all lived well into their teens. We
didn't even start to see any health problems until they were older. One of our
FIV cats is about 15 and she has only ever been to the vet for routine things.
The one thing I would suggest is that you feed a really good quality diet and
also that you get regular teeth cleanings. FIV cats tend to have teeth
problems.

Michele

-------------- Original message -------------- From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > We
have had a kitten since last summer when he was about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks old. >
He came back possitive FIV. He was tested again when he was about 9 or 10 >
months old and sad to say, he was still possitive. So I guess he does have FIV.
> Not sure what to do now. Thanks, Robin P. > ---- gary wrote: > > OK, here we
go. > > > > The only reason to test a kitten for FIV before 6 months is to
obtain a > negative test and know for certain the kitten does NOT have FIV and
can be > adopted without the chance of FIV. We all know that MOST kittens who
test > positive for FIV will test negative when retested around 6 months of
age. > > > > For FeLV, the accuracy of the test itself is not affect ed by the
age of the > kitten (at least I have never seen any data to indicate that)
however, it can > take 1 to 3 months to develop FeLV antigens to a detectable
level after > exposure. Some feel they are detectable in as little as 2 weeks.
The vet is > just trying to avoid a false negative. > > > > Unfortunately,
there has not been enough study done to know just how much > exposure and for
what length of time it takes to infect a kitten or a cat. An > article in
Shelter Medicine says, "FeLV can be spread transplacentally from > mother to
offspring, but spread via nursing or grooming is more common." >
http://www.sheltermedicine.com/portal/is_feline_felv.shtml > > > > They don't
reference any data for that. Sort of leaves you in a tough place > if you have
a know FeLV queen about to give birth, do the kittens already have > it, or do
you snatch them away as soon as they ar e born so they don't get it > from milk
or grooming? > > > > Hope that helps. > > > > Gary > > ----- Original Message
----- > > From: MaryChristine > > To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org > > Sent:
Friday, July 25, 2008 1:19 PM > > Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Felv Testing Interval
for kittens > > > > > > i guess the question is this, tho i may be wrong: > > >
> there is no point in testing for FIV until at least six months of age, >
because both the ELISA and western blot test antibodies, and kittens will show
> their MOM'S antibodies until (and often for two or three motnsh beyond) then.
FeLV, > which tests antigens instead of antibodies? why would the vet mentioned
above > then say 3 months is the best age? > > ; > > > > > > >

Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger  Get it now!