Hi Gary and all,
I want to explain why I believe lysine to be an immune system booster so maybe
we can stop going back and forth on the issue:
There are 20 (or 21 depending on the source) different amino acids in our
bodies.  One of them is L-lysine.  All cells in every organism (plants,
animals, etc.) use these amino acids to make proteins.  A single antibody
molecule (PART OF THE IMMUNE SYSTEM) contains about 1,400 amino acids+.  If our
bodies are low in lysine (and remember, our bodies CANNOT make lysine {but
plants can}), then a reduction in lysine would = a lowered immune system
because the chain of proteins that make up the antibody molecules is weakened.
Here is an article you can wade through that talks about antibodies:
http://www.cehs.siu.edu/fix/medmicro/igs.htm  This is why lysine is given to
people to help recuperate after surgery or injury as it is necessary for tissue
repair and growth.  It's also necessary in the production of antibodies (used
by the immune system to seek out and identify bacteria and viruses in our
bodies).  It's a building block of our very cells.
 And therefore it IS linked to the immune system, and I would assume, immune
system boosting if the immune system is weak.  Every health food company that
sells lysine quips that it is an immune system boosting amino acid.  Lysine
deficiencies have been shown in HIV patients in Africa, so I think that it's
possible that even though FeLV is not HIV, it is a virus, so maybe our furry
friends may also be low in the essential amino acid because of the virus.  I
don't think the studies have been done on this particular issue.  And if anyone
knows of any, please post them.  As I said before, I'm not a doctor, vet, or
scientist.  But I can research, read, and use my common sense to make logical
inferences.  I don't believe there are any studies to show that link lysine to
the immune system because, from what I understand, it's common knowledge in the
science/medical world.  It would be like trying to find studies linking blood
to the heart.
If someone here is a biomedical student, doctor, expert researcher, etc., and
you do not agree with what I've written above, please explain to me why this is
not true.  I absolutely welcome respectful discourse on this matter.
And I want to say that regardless of whether I am wrong on this, pure lysine
cannot be overdosed (because like Vitamin C, it's water-soluble), and is all
natural, so is not bad for cats.  All it can do is help.
Thanks!
:)
Wendy
 "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change
the world - indeed it is the only thing that ever has!"     ~~~ Margaret Meade
~~~