Dear all,
Some potentially very useful information from Nina, a former longtime
member and prolific and hugely knowledgeable contributor to the list:

This is interesting.  My sister just called to tell me she heard on the
radio about a study indicating that yogurt consumption aids in reducing
gingivitis and periodontal disease.  I'm hoping it might make some
difference in felv kitties gingivitis, maybe even stomatitis.  In any
case it seems like something that might be tried under the "It can't
hurt" rule.  I'm going to start eating more yogurt just in case it may
help my mouth.  Could one of you please pass this on to the list just in
case?

I did a quick Goggle and came up first with this home remedy site:

http://www.savvynaturalhealer.com/2008/02/fight-gum-disease-with-yogurt.
html

"From Japan's Kyushu University comes a report of a new study published
in this month's Journal of Periodontology
that finds that eating yogurt may prevent gum disease.

The scientists learned that eating at least two ounces (56 g) of foods
cultured with the friendly bacterium Lactobacillus
significantly reduced the risk of severe gingivitis, that is, with
pockets more than 2 mm (about 1/10 of an inch) deep in
the gums. The benefits of Lactobacillus held even when the researchers
accounted for differences in age, gender,
frequency of tooth brushing, blood sugar levels, cholesterol levels,
smoking, and alcohol consumption.

What the scientists did not find was a protective role for consumption
of milk and cheese. These foods seem to feed the
bacteria that attack the gums. Only yogurt and similar foods were
helpful. It's well known that acidity produced by
Lactobacilli kills E. coli, Campylobacter, and Salmonella."

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE. Any tax advice expressed above by Mayer Brown LLP was
not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer to
avoid U.S. federal tax penalties. If such advice was written or used to support
the promotion or marketing of the matter addressed above, then each offeree
should seek advice from an independent tax advisor.