The ELISA test takes a blood sample from the lower leg, and is
inexpensive. It's not that accurate, as there are false positives and
sometimes false negatives. We had 2 three month old kittens who became
negative within 1 month, and one that became negative 3 months later.

You can retest after about 2-3 months with the Elisa again. Better yet
is the IFA test. It checks whether the felv has reached the bone
marrow- the vet sends a blood sample to a lab and is a tad more
expensive but much more accurate.

However,the best alternative after a positice elisa test is the new
PCR test. It's so new you won't see it in many google searches. It can
detect even minute quanitites of the virus and is the most accurate
test out there- also sent to the lab. Best after two consecutive
positive ELISA tests.

Your kitties can fight off the virus and change to negative though
it's not guaranteed. They probably got it from their mother. Many
kittens can and do fight it off which is why early testinf is often
inaccurate. In order to do so, you'll need to provide a low stress
environment, indoor only home to reduce exposure to germs, premium
food mostly canned (wellness, innova evo, natures variety
instinct,etc), clean the litterbox and dishes daily and have more than
one box, vaccuum and keep them flea and worm free, as well as spend
time playing with the kittens and giving them affection, toys, warm
places to sleep.

There are no guarantees but it is possible to go from positive to
negative. Just takes dedication and having hope...

And others will tell you a felv positive diagnosis is not a death
sentence!
There are plenty of people here who have healthy cats with felv that
have had long lives.

I don't know about financial assistance, but you should try and talk
to your vet about payment options. The cheapest ELISA test I found ran
about $25-30 here in LA.

Also, you can do you best to change their positive status to negative
in the next few months. Even if they don't, you can adopt them out
when they are a bit older after you've tried or just try to adopt them
out now and tell people they are positive for now but could change..