Well let me know what they find out.  Swollen belly/any type fluid filling in
the abdomen is so scary.  But god, that "it's fip" revelation from the doctor
is honestly the worst of the worst.  But it only happened to me with the 3rd
and final one- and by then, when the results came back, he had already
"crashed" and I had already made my decision.  The first, Brumley, had dry fip
(even tho he was a young cat- under 1)- uveitits.  And the second, Possum, the
fluid filled up so fast- it happened so fast- he was at the critical phase at
the point at which it had become evident to me, tho he had "failed to thrive"
for a long time.  So tough to diagnose early on.

What I find so interesting, is that the 3 that I have lost to FIP were what I
have termed "gentle souls."  I use this term very infrequently as it is hard to
find in humans, or animals.  But truly, sweet, gentle, wouldn't harm a fly
souls-- and cats at that!  Which I can't even say that about my most beloved,
my Monkee whom I lost to FELV-- b/c he was a killer!!!- a wolf in sheep's
clothes!  But these FIP boys, truly the sweetest things.  Almost too sweet and
too gentle to classify as cats!  And it's just odd to me that the sweetest,
gentlest fosters that I had, I lost to this very disease.  Which is obviously
what gets to me the most.  And here my survivor of that rescue batch-- my Yoda,
is the devil child incarnate!  He hates my mom- for no reason at all- he's
horrible towards her!!!  And she held him in the palm of her hand and helped me
nurse his sick little butt back to health and he's just an ungrateful, demon!
He's just an evil lil thing!  Not a gentle soul.  And I'm sure I will be
blessed to have his evil little self with me for the next 20 years!!!  It is
just odd that for me, FIP has taken the sweetest ones I have known.

Good luck to you and keep us updated.
ck > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org> Date: Fri, 7 Nov
2008 19:40:48 -0600> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] diagnosing FIP> > Thanks. Yes, I
do belong. And thank-you for sharing your personal> experience, too. A friend
had one cat die from FIP at about 2 years of age> and his litter mate lived to
18. My other cats are all 8 or older. Tessa is> age unknown but at least a year
old.> L> > -----Original Message-----> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> [mailto:[EMAIL
PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Caroline Kaufmann> Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 4:38
PM> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] diagnosing FIP> >
> Have you joined the FIP yahoo group? If not, do so. They are great.> [EMAIL
PROTECTED] FIP is not really "contagious" in the sense that> Felv is. I have
had 3 fosters die of it and all the other fosters that were> exposed to them
are fine. And it's not because they were foster-mates or> exposed to each
other. It doesn't work like that. FIP is caused by the> corona virus, which all
cats in a rescue situation (mine were from animal> control) and/or multi-cat
household are more than likely going to have high> titers for, but that doesn't
mean they "have" FIP. A high corona virus> titer for a lot of cats will mean
nothing. FIP is a mutation of the corona> virus- the body's inappropriate
immune response to corona. There are> theories and beliefs about the factors
that contribute to the reason why in> one cat with the high titer, they come
down with FIP, but in another, they> may never-- not even the dry form in old
age; and yes, I have my theories> and of course I think I know why I had 3 that
didn't make it. So,> essentially, there's not really an argument for
segregating- even if you> have a cat with a fat belly and it could be wet fip.
I'm far from an> expert, so you should join the FIP group to get all the
information. >> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org> Date:
Fri, 7> Nov 2008 16:27:48 -0600> Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] diagnosing FIP> > I
wrote> earlier this week about Tessa's big belly. Before introducing her to>
my> other kitties I wanted to be sure she did not have FIP. Our internal med>>
vet offered to ultrasound her belly. She, too, was alarmed when she saw> her.>
The ultrasound showed just fat cells, no liquid. Great way to> diagnose...at>
least for the wet form!> Laurie> > >>