I'm so sorry to hear about Buzz.
  take care,

Sue & Frank Koren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Today I had to have my sweet little kitty Buzz PTS. I feel like a very large 
piece of me is missing.

The first time I saw Buzz I fell in love with him. He was terrified, cowering 
between two up-ended mattresses in an unused bedroom at my brothers' house. He 
had been abused by neighborhood boys in an urban area where my brother used to 
live. When my sister in law, Lee, rescued him he was very sick, full of 
parasites, starving and near death. She and my brother nursed him back to 
physical health but he was still terrified of people. They named him Buzz Saw 
because of the way his claws flew whenever anyone got near him. That day Lee 
caught him in a blanket and handed him to me. I sat with him and gently pet him 
and talked to him. Within about 20 minutes he was purring. Before we left that 
day he reached up to me and touched noses.

After about a week I talked my husband into keeping him. When I brought him 
home I put him into our study so he had a smaller space to get used to, and to 
keep him separate from the other cats. When I took him to the vet a few days 
later his feline leukemia test came back positive. Buzz was going to live in 
the study for quite a while so I filled it with cat toys and a cat tree and 
pretty much spoiled him as much as much as I could. Every evening I would spend 
hours with him. I was working on a computer project and he kept me company with 
that. That is how it was from January of '07 to April. At that point it was 
clear that keeping him separate was not working. We vaccinated the other cats 
for feline leukemia and released Buzzy into the rest of the house. He loved his 
new freedom and became every ones quiet little shadow. He loved to watch what 
was going on. His favorite place was a window bench that looks out on the bird 
feeder. At night he either slept on a ledge right
 behind my head or cuddled up next to me, purring. When July came I noticed 
that he seemed to have no energy and was not eating. When we took him to the 
vet the diagnosis was anemia. With heavy doses of prednesolone his health and 
red blood count began to come back. I was so happy watching my sweet boy 
gaining back his energy and appetite. While he was recuperating I would take 
him out to sit on the deck on my lap. He loved sniffing the outdoor smells and 
feeling the warm sunshine on his fur. He would sit and purr out there for as 
long as I could sit and hold him. In the evenings Buzzy loved to chase DaBird 
and the laser pointer. His blood was being tested every couple of weeks and 
soon it was in the normal range. We began to back off on the prednesolone. For 
several weeks everything was going well until the week that his blood count 
started going the wrong direction. I prayed that it was just the one time but 
unfortunately not. That horrible disease was in his bone marrow
 and the medication was no longer helping. For the last several weeks I watched 
as he became more and more lethargic. We offered him every special treat we 
could think of to keep him eating and he would nibble on those tidbits almost 
to the end. He would sit all day on his window seat and for the last week we 
carried him to the litter box. He always watched every move I made as I moved 
around the kitchen. Today when he just put his head down in exhaustion instead 
of watching, I knew it was time to say goodbye to my darling boy. When I took 
him to the vet I told him how much I have loved him and asked him to meet me at 
the bridge. Then he went to sleep in my arms. I will miss him so very much, but 
now he is in a place where there is no feline leukemia.


Felvtalk mailing list

Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to