When the parvovirus first started to hit dogs, when there were puppies in the
house we would make everyone who came in spray the bottoms of their shoes with
a bleach solution we had in a spray bottle on our porch.  Then everyone had to
take their shoes off and wash their hands thoroughly before handling the
puppies.

Did it work?  Who knows?  We had no vaccine at the time and I did have 2
puppies come down with the virus.  But we felt that at least we were killing
any viruses of any sort that were on the shoes.