Jennifer,
I can't help with the Interferon but can with the assist feeding.  There is a
Yahoo Assist Feeding that has some great files on assist feeding.

Just about any canned food can be used.  I blenderize the food with a little
liquid and syringe feed the mixture.  I add the supplements to the mixture to
avoid the hassles of pilling.

For short term assist feeding meat baby food with no onions or garlic is easy
to assist feed.  Many kitties will lick it off a coated baby spoon or it is
easy to syringe feed.

Kitten canned food is higher in calories than the A/D.  You want to get the
biggest bang per oz with whatever food you feed.
Sharyl