We adopted our cat Maggie when she was 8 weeks or so old. She was a happy
healthy kitten until about 6-7 weeks later. She had gingivitis and diarrhea and
her lymph nodes were the size of large grapes. We had he tested ( she was
tested before we brought her home and she was negative) she tested positive
this time on the ELISA test. We immediately tested our 12 year old cat Sasha
and she was negative. 12 weeks later we tested her again and she was still
positive so we had an IFA test done to see if it had progressed into her bone
marrow. Sad to say it has, it was a very strong positive.
We feed her soft food by pro plan and hard purina kitten chow.
Our cats are strictly indoors.
She lives with Sasha still who thank God is still negative.
Maggie's main symptoms are diarrhea (lots of diarrhea), sneezing, vomiting,
swollen lymph nodes, painful gums/teeth.
She seems happy and as long as that is the case she will continue to have a
home here with us no matter how many messes I have to clean up a week.
She takes Tylan powder for her diarrhea which seems to help alot. Her vet is
not that experienced at dealing with FELV positive cats so I have been getting
alot of ideas from everyone's emails.
Hope this helps
Tanya