Hi Maria
There is a current, non profit research project being conducted by Dr. Jean Dodds DVM and Dr. Ronald Schultz called the Rabies Challenge (Google it). It is a seven year project in which they intend to prove that one rabies vaccination will protect an animal for its lifetime.
Rabies is the first vaccine in the project.
It is also their belief that animals are over vaccinated and that the economics of veterinary practices are dependent on yearly (now 3year) vaccination protocols. Between pharmaceutical companies and professional group pressure, many vets choose not to change or re-examine
their protocols.
Happy that Bernie is fine.
Jane