From: Kerry MacKenzie <kerrymacken...@ymail.com>
Subject: [Felvtalk] Feline Heartworm?
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 12:41 PM

Dear all,
Just received this from my vet's clinic. My first instinct is nooooo, but I
would welcome your thoughts on the necessity for "all-year-round Revolution"?
Thanks!
Kerry M.

Feline Heartworm Update:

Dear Pet Owner,
                           April 2009

A new study from Auburn University has indicated that heartworm disease in cats
is a far bigger issue than previously thought.  Cats can get heartworm
infection through the simple bite of an infected mosquito.  Studies have shown:
Indoor cats are just as susceptible to infection when mosquitoes enter our home.

Once bitten, immature heartworms are transmitted and the heartworm lifecycle
begins.  The larval worms then start their journey through the body, ultimately
affecting the heart, blood vessels and lungs.

A cat's body is designed to respond and kill foreign invaders, including
heartworm larvae before they develop into adults.  As the cat's body responds,
the intense inflammatory reaction causes severe damage to the lung tissue. This
disease state is clinically recognized as Heartworm Associated Respiratory
Disease or H.A.R.D.  Once this damage to the lung tissue occurs, it is not
reversible and there is no treatment to remove the adult heartworms from a cat.

With this new information we are now recommending ALL CATS be put on Revolution
year round.  Revolution is a broad spectrum parasiticide that in addition to
preventing heartworm also prevents intestinal parasites, ear mites and fleas.

Please contact us if you would like to discuss prevention for your cat.

Sincerely,

The Doctors and Staff at Roscoe Village Animal Hospital