I adopted my Cinder at 9 weeks, and she tested negative at that time. On
January 12 of this year, at one year and 8 months, she crossed to the bridge
after she become suddenly very, very ill - she was fine Friday and gone Monday.
She had a massive tumor in her liver and her chest filled with fluid, as a
result of being FeLV+. We discovered her FeLV status from post-mortem tests.
Two of my three other cats tested negative last month, but one is positive. The
vets say that at 9 weeks of age, the tests are not 100% reliable, and that even
a negative test should have been repeated. The only difference in opinion was
the length of time to wait to re-test - one said 4 weeks, one said 8 weeks.

I know it's hard to keep a sweet baby locked away by itself, but if I had it to
do over again, I would in a heartbeat.