This is a great group, glad you're here.

It is unlikely that a healthy adult cat will pick up FELV through casual contact, in my own opinion. However, since this is a new cat, might as well go ahead and separate - it's a polite way to introduce them. But I know several people who mix their FELV with the non-FELV, have had them rechecked, and no transmission. I have mixed mine at times and had no problems. When I first acquired an FELV cat I was indeed paranoid, but after a while, and with a great group iike this, I learned more about it and became less paranoid. I do give interferon alpha to the FELV kitties if they're under 3-4 years old.

I have 2 felv kitties that are 12-14 years old - need to retest, just hate to stress them out. :)

Gloria

On Apr 27, 2009, at 11:14 AM, Laurieskatz wrote:

I would keep them separated for the 30 days. I am very cautious.
Laurie

-----Original Message-----
From: felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org
[mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Nortina Bell
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 9:13 AM
To: Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] Intro

Hello,

I have been a member of this list for a few days now since I found out that
our new kitty tested postive for feline leukemia.

We already have one cat, Jasper, who is about 7-8 years old. The animal shelter was unsure of his age when I got him, so we aren't quite sure now either. Jasper, as a rule, really dislikes other animals. Cats, dogs, he shows them all who is boss. However, since we have moved to our new house in mid-January, we've had a stray hanging around. Jasper, who gets out every now and then even though we try not to let him, actually didn't seem to hate this other cat. I saw them actually playing together which was a surprise to
me. This other cat kept trying to sneak IN the house and was so loving
anyway that we just decided to adopt him once we realized we might actually be able to have another cat in the same house as Jasper (we have tried twice
previous with very bad results).

We kept this new cat (my kids are bent on calling him McFluffins) in the bathroom overnight while waiting for his first vet appointment to see if he would even use a litter box. I was glad to see that he did, but noticed we
had an issue with worms.

While at the vet they tested for FIV and feline leukemia. This is when we found that he tested positive for feline leukemia. The vet that I spoke to that day didn't really try to encourage me in making any decision, but I have to admit that I thought about having him put down. I was not really willing to though because I have already found that he is a very loving and wonderful cat and is perfectly healthy at the moment. After asking some
questions about how it can progress and the implications for Jasper, I
decided that we would keep him.

We had another vet visit the day after for Jasper and the vet that we spoke to that day was firm that there will be issues with the stray that we took in, it is just a matter of how long until they surface. She was much less
hopeful than the previous vet, but nice and informative all the same.

Currently Jasper and the new cat are seperated as Jasper was behind on his vaccinations and was never vaccinated again feline leuk. I was told that, based on Jasper's age, he wasn't likely to catch it anyway, but it would be worth giving anyhow. It was suggested that they be kept apart until his second booster shot in a month after this one. Does anyone else have an
experience like this? Is it really necessary to keep them seperated?

I have been reading all of the posts so far but feel a little lost since I am not very knowledgable on the subject, so hopefully I will catch up soon.

Nortina