Hi Amy,
My 1 1/2 year old cat Buzz, tested positive for FeLV in January of '08.  He
seemed to be asymptomatic until July when he became anemic.  My vet treated him
for hemobart using Doxycycline and Prednesolone.  He responded very well at
that point and his blood count went from 8 back up into the normal range over a
time period of two months.  He stayed in the normal range for approximately a
month and then his red blood count started going down again.  The medication
was was no longer working and I lost him in November.
My vet did not test for hemobart in July because of test results being
untrustworthy, but he always thought that was the problem because he responded
so well to the treatment the first time.  Hope that helps a little.
Sue