While everyone is talking about totes: They make nice shelters for cats, especially if they are insulated and filled with pine needles (Mom's ferals and four of my cats all came from a pine thicket) or straw.
On Jun 29, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Sharyl wrote:

Wendy, since Pepper is healthy I wouldn't bother putting any opening in the tote. I use the large Rubbermaid totes for litter boxes. Mine just jump in them. As Leroy got into his late teens, he had trouble getting in the tote. I just put a small rubbermaid stool next to it. He used that to climb in.

I did save the hood of an old litter box that I set on top of one tote for when the kitties want privacy. It doesn't snap on but the tote is in a corner and it balances on the tote pretty good. The girls seem to like privacy when they poop. All of my boys have always stood up to pee. Don't know why. That's why I went to totes.

For the dumpster rescues in the cat enclosure, I left the lid on the tote and cut a opening in one of the small sides. Keeps the rain out of the litter and they don't seem to have any problems getting in it. Found it easier to cut the tote after heating the side with a heat gun. A hair dryer would probably work. Then I covered the edges with duct tape so they wouldn't hurt themselves.

Sharyl

--- On Sun, 6/28/09, wendy <wendy2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: wendy <wendy2...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [Felvtalk] OT: Kitty box with a lip to catch urine???
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Sunday, June 28, 2009, 4:38 PM
Hey guys,

I haven't posted much in the past few months.  Can hardly
keep up with life offline, much less online.  I hope all of
you are doing well, as well as your furbabies.

I have an 'engineering' question for you guys. I have a
healthy kitty, Pepper, who keeps backing up to the litter
box opening and peeing, and of course it goes outside the
box, and then urine pools underneath the box (I even use a
Christmas tree tray under the box to catch the urine, but
still it gets quite ripe after a couple of days).  She's
been doing this for years and I just keep cleaning it up.
But as all of you probably can identify, I hate the smell
and the clean-up, and was wondering if any of you have a
similar sitation with any of your cats and how you deal with
it?  I've tried different kitty boxes, but as long as they
have an opening, the pee is going in that
direction. There's got to be an easier way to deal with
this. I was thinking maybe I could make some kind of lip on
the opening edge to direct the pee to a receptacle??? Any
ideas out there?

Thanks!
:)
Wendy
 "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed
citizens can change the world - indeed it is the only thing
that ever has!"     ~~~ Margaret Meade ~~~

Marylyn, Copper & Thomas