Iva, you have already received some great advise.  All any of us can do is 
relate our experiences.  I've had 6 indoor positive kitties mixed with my 
negatives who had their FeLV vaccine and booster.  My negatives get an annual 
FeLV vaccine.  My positives are rescues born with FeLV.  I've lost 3 before 
they were a yr old but the other 3 are 1 and 2 yrs old.  I also have a colony 
I'm TNRing where at least 2 of the females are positive.  It's been 2 yrs since 
I have them spayed and they are still doing OK in the colony.  

I'm glad to read that you have reconsidered PTS.  You don't need to give your 
vet any research as to why you want to keep Becca.  She is your kitty and it is 
your decision.  If the vet won't support your decision then find another vet.
Sharyl

--- On Mon, 8/3/09, Iva Lark Emily Seaberg <melleph...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> From: Iva Lark Emily Seaberg <melleph...@sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: [Felvtalk] Introduction - Rebecca
> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> Date: Monday, August 3, 2009, 12:50 AM
> My 2 year old cat Rebecca (Becca) was
> diagnosed with FeLV on Friday. A brief history: I adopted
> Becca, along with another kitty Katherine, from PetSmart
> when they were a few months old. They had both been tested
> FeLV negative. But I did notice that a week after I brought
> them home Becca developed large lymph nodes around her neck
> that disappeared in a few weeks. I thought nothing of it and
> thought maybe she was fighting something off. They both came
> home with ringworm so the vet and I assumed Becca was just
> reacting to it pretty badly. 
>  
> Almost a year later I adopted two kittens (Kiera and
> Casanova) from my neighbor, both FeLV
> negative. Shortly after I brought them home and around
> the time they both got spayed/neutered at the SPCA one of
> them (Kiera) developed the same swollen lymph nodes. Well,
> a few months ago Kiera was diagnosed with FeLV and was in
> the end stages. She was only 11 months old. I had no choice
> but to put her to sleep. By the time she was diagnosed she
> already had several large tumors in her body, had stopped
> eating, and one of the tumors was blocking her intestines.
> There was no hope for her. It was extremely hard to take as
> she was the only furbaby I had really bonded with at that
> point.
>  
> Well the vet said to wait a few months and test my
> remaining kitties. We still have no idea how they got it,
> but I wonder if it happened at PetSmart or the SPCA?  They
> are all indoor cats and have never been exposed to other
> kitties outside of those two experiences. Anyway, we tested
> my three remaining cats and one was positive. She has no
> symptoms aside from some bad gum inflammation. She's fairly
> healthy and extremely active. The vet recommended I put her
> to sleep to protect the other cats. I initially agreed and
> the appt is scheduled for tomorrow. However, after
> researching and looking around it appears that 1. If the
> other cats haven't caught it by now chances are they might
> not. The sick kitty is 2 years old, the healthy kitties are
> 2 years old and 15 months old. 2. I had the healthy kitties
> vaccinated against FeLV on the vet's recommendation and
> think that after they get their boosters the odds might be
> even slimmer of them getting infected. For
>  now I have isolated Becca to my master bedroom/bathroom. I
> was planning on releasing her in three weeks after the other
> two kitties get their booster shots. 
>  
> Am I making the right call? If I put Becca to sleep and the
> others eventually test positve then I will be crushed! But I
> don't want to continue to risk them either. It looks like
> based on my research it is rare for adult cats to get FeLV,
> and if they have already been exposed for so long (over a
> year) and are currently negative then aren't the odds good?
> I have to call the vet tomorrow to cancel the euthanasia and
> ask for some antibiotics instead, and I want to have some
> good reasons to give her for my change of heart, along with
> some good documentation she can research. I figure I can
> always use the next three weeks to think the decision
> through but if I put her down I can't take it back.  I
> don't know how much longer I'd have with her... but doing
> this when she is so healthy just doesn't sit with me. 
>  
> I should add, I got these four kitties to replace my last
> kitty, who died from Renal Failure. He was given a few
> months to live and lived for three years under my care. I'm
> not afraid of a little work if it means quality of life for
> her and more time together with minimal risk to my other
> angels.
>  
> Help??
>  
> Iva
> _______________________________________________
> Felvtalk mailing list
> Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org
> 


      

_______________________________________________
Felvtalk mailing list
Felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
http://felineleukemia.org/mailman/listinfo/felvtalk_felineleukemia.org

Reply via email to