Ever since my beloved FeLV positive kitty (Peeper) passed away in 2003, I have
not posted a medical regime update of my kitties' daily dietary supplements.

I highly respect all of the medical knowledge on the group and would sincerely
appreciate feedback.

Our family consists of 12 FeLV negative kitties. Birth dates ranging from 1996
to 2006.

Since Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) also known as Feline Urinary
Syndrome (FUS) and Feline Urinary Tract Infections are common in our household,
the kitties get Purina ONE Special Care: Urinary Tract Health Formula. 1/4
scoop each for breakfast.

At dinner they get 1/4 of a 5.5 oz can of wet Friskies.

Medications and/or dietary supplements are administered in the evening with the
wet cat food.

Due to FLUTD all 12 of my kitties get 1 soft gel of super concentrated
Cranberry Fruit plus Vitamin C each daily. Each soft gel contains
Vitamin C 60mg, Vitamin E 6IU and cranberry concentrate 250mg. I buy Spring
Valley at Wal-Mart at $3.96 for 100 soft gels.

In addition to FLUTD, my kitties also have Feline Optical Herpes. All 12 of my
kitties are carriers of the virus.

Therefore, all 12 get 1 tablet of L-Lysine 500mg each daily. I buy Spring
Valley at Wal-Mart at $4.96 for 250 tablets.

Unfortunately, heart disease is no stranger in our home either. Three years ago
I lost a beautiful boy to Saddle Thrombus. An appalling and excruciatingly
painful disease that attacks suddenly without warning. Aortic thromboembolism,
also referred to as saddle thrombus, is a common complication associated with
all types of heart disease in the cat.

A thrombosis is the formation of a blood clot. An embolism is when the clot
lodges within a vessel. It is thought that clots form in one chamber of the
left side of the diseased heart. Eventually, these clots break free and travel
in the blood vessels until they become lodged or stuck.

The most common site for the clot to lodge is in the far part of the aorta, in
the area between the rear legs. This cuts off the blood supply to both rear
legs. A clot can also get stuck in the artery that supplies the front legs,
kidneys or intestines or can clog an artery to the brain. Clots rarely lodge in
veins since the right side of the heart is not commonly involved. When a clot
lodges, the cat can no longer use his rear legs and most often dies. Saddle
Thrombus is a secondary heart condition.

Therefore, all 12 get 1 soft gel of CoQ10 100mg each daily. I buy Nature Made
at Wal-Mart at $21.94 for 60 soft gels.

CoQ10 not only helps with cell production and free radicals, but also with
heart function.

NOTE: In the cranberry soft gel that my kitties get includes Vitamin E which
helps to gradually break down blood clots in the circulatory system, and helps
prevent more from forming. Vitamin E encourages collateral circulation in the
smaller blood vessels of the body. It seems to promote healing with the
formation of much less scar tissue. Vitamin E helps strengthen and regulate the
heartbeat. Vitamin E is a blood thinner.

Last but not least, some of my older kitties suffer from Alopecia, whether it
be allergies i.e. dietary, airborne; hormones; or fungal infections i.e.
ringworm, mold, yeast I do not know.

I have had trichograms (microscopic examination of the hair root), skin
scrapings, fungus cultures, dermatophyte cultures, lab woods lamp examinations
(black light exams) and blood tests preformed, but still do not have any
definitive, conclusive answers. Twelve cats unfortunately produces 12 separate
results. Therefore, I treat the symptoms.

All 12 get 1 soft gel of Fish Oil 1200mg each daily. I buy Nature Made at
Wal-Mart at $5.38 for 100 soft gels.

Note: Fish Oil may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease which is another
reason why my kitties get it.

SUMMARY:

1.) L-lysine: For Feline Optical herpes, immune system and skin.

2.) Super Concentrated Cranberry Fruit plus Vitamin C: For Urinary Tract
Infections, Immune system and clot prevention/blood thinner.

3.) CoQ10: For cell production, free radical prevention and heart function.

4.) Fish Oil: For reducing the risk of coronary heart disease and shin/hair.

That is four pills per cat daily. We go through a lot of meds in our house.

What do you think? Should I add, substitute or subtract supplements? Is this
dietary supplement regime fine the way it is? Can it be improved? Does anyone
else administer this many pills to a single cat?

Thanks, Lora