Hi Tracy,
My vocal 1 1/2 year old positive female, Sylvia, sometimes changes her voice
when she's not feeling well. It drops into a lower register and gets
scratchy, like she has laryngitis. She's spayed. Most of the time she's got
a fairly melodic, medium-pitched meow-- that scratchy voice is what
originally led me to take her to the vet, who tested her for FLV (her third
time being tested)...and she came up positive.

Since then, she's only had that voice change one time, and it was when she
caught a cold from my other (so far negative) kitten, Beatrice. She
recovered quickly and the meow went back to normal.

Cats have a million different ways of communicating with us; this is just
one way Sylvia tells me she's feeling unwell. She also follows me around
more often, begging for attention, and gets irritable with Beatrice (hisses,
etc). So pay attention to your girl-- if she's still scratchy as she comes
out of heat, pay close attention to her and take her to the vet if something
doesn't seem right. Follow your instincts and pay close attention to hers.

You'll get wonderful advice on this forum. They're a wealth of information
and have been incredibly helpful to me.

All my best to you and your kittycat!
Cheers,
Anna