My opinion: It is very important to have the vet keep females (especially) after being spayed. I had two wonderful little girls spayed by two different vets. Both girls died three days afterwards. They were not related and the only known common factor was that they were dumped and came to the pine thicket behind my Mom's (the source of lots of ferals and several now inside cats). Now, I tell the vet straight up that I will not pick a female up for at least four days after surgery. I don't care if it costs me extra cash...I can't handle a repeat. They died within a very few months of each other. Frankly, I would rather let a male stay a couple of days too. Releasing a cat who is not up to par into a colony is just not what I want to do......live, experience, learn. Further, I don't permit the vets to vaccinate against everything at the same time as surgery and I have been blessed to find vets who understand that the cats I bring in are stressed and not from the best environments....they don't need a lot of additional stressors.
On Dec 9, 2009, at 6:22 PM, Crystal Proper wrote:

Hmmm, maybe I will rethink the sanctuary idea. I don't want them to live a horrible life. Plus all the places I have contacted are full. I have an appointment to get the female fixed on the 22nd...a few days before that I have to start trying to catch her. I am getting a live trap. Shes friendly but you can't pick her up and put her in a cage. I am hoping they will keep her over the holiday to observe her and let her heal before I let her go back outside. I dont think its my place to make the choice to end her life...or the male cats life either. There are several people that care for them and feed them and its only those two cats that live there. I think I will just get them both fixed to prevent kittens and continue on with what we do.

Frank & Sue Koren
Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:56:03 -0800
Is 10th life the sanctuary that was supposedly researching snake venom about two years ago?
Sue
----- Original Message ----- From: "Debbie Bates" <dlh1...@hotmail.com>
To: <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] PA or OH FeLV+ Cat Sanctuaries

I couldn't agree more...having just found out that the 'sanctuary' one of my feral fosters was taken to has been closed down by law enforcement...I drove down there the day after Thanksgiving to find her and bring her back....let me just add that this place looked great online....but I saw with my own eyes that there ARE 'fates worse than death'.....please be cautious....
Debbie (COL)
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle"  Philo