Amen.....I wouldn't have missed the opportunity to love and be loved by Dixie for anything. The three years we had were wonderful. Dixie was several years old when she came out of a pine thicket to get food with the ferals. Apparently, since she was spayed, she was thrown away at some time in her life. No one knows. All I know is that I was honored to care for her and give her everything I could during her last three years. FYI: She was not sick until a very few days before she left this world. She had regular vet care and holistic care from the best vets in the world, Middletown Animal Clinic and E. A. Boswell DVM.

On Dec 20, 2009, at 12:27 AM, <dlg...@windstream.net> wrote:

Nancy, I can only tell you from my experience and what my vet told me. they can be with negative cats as long as the negatives are up to date on their shots. I have 6 negatives and 2 positives and so far, they are healthy as can be, no signs of problems. as some on this group can tell you, positives can live long lives. my vet said that they may never show signs of illness and live to old age just like negatives. So, by all means, give them a chance for a good home, be up front with the adopters. They will benefit from having these babies with them. Mine have enriched my life and I would not give them up for anything. Dorlis
---- Sharyl <cline...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Nancy, I can see no reason why you can not adopt them out with full disclosure. As someone else mentioned adopting them out in pairs if the home has no kitties would be a good idea. They would have a play companion.

You could provide the FeLV link to potential adopter so they could learn more about FeLV.
http://felineleukemia.org/

The WINN Foundation has a good paper on FeLV that you could provide as a handout.
http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/Pages/FeLV_Web.pdf

I'm one of those how mixes negatives and positives. All my negatives are vaccinated annually for FeLV.

There really is no way of knowing how long a FeLV kitty will live. They deserve a loving home for however long they have.
Sharyl

--- On Sat, 12/19/09, nancy crandall <kabinakenn...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: nancy crandall <kabinakenn...@gmail.com>
Subject: [Felvtalk] Ethical assistance needed
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Date: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 3:16 PM
Hi,
I was introduced to this list by a friend who is a cat
rescuer. I am a newly
placed member of the BOD of a local no kill rescue (dogs
mostly). We find
ourselves in a very sad predicament for which we have no
past experience. We
have a cat room with 15 cats all infected with feline
leukemia.(they are
isolated from all other animals) What is the current
ethical guidelines
concerning this sort of situation? Can we adopt them out
with full
disclosure to inside homes only with no other cats? Or is
there too much of
a chance that they will spread this illness on? Bottom line
we would prefer
that they were in homes but we are willing to allow them to
live out their
lives in the shelter as sanctuary if necessary. We do not
want to euthanize
them if at all possible.

Nancy C.

--
There are no bad dogs only ignorant owners.